Gibson Brands Forums

Is this 1960 Bird f/s real?

BluesKing777

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Gibson's first attempt at a square shoulder jumbo was, of course, the Epiphone Frontier.  The early ones I have seen were built with leftover Epi necks.   The main  structural difference between a 1960 HB and a Bozeman version would probably  be the top bracing.  Kalamazoo built then with un-scalloped bracing while Bozeman uses scalloped.

The top bracing variation is correctos, but the back braces are actually even more different. Contemporary ones being much thicker, , , and fx TVs being thinner than the Standards. 

Not sure about the post 2016 baked Vintage versions - but guess it's the same. 

7 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Hmm, I meant it would be interesting to compare this 1960 model with a 'full production' model from say, 1962 like Tom's perhaps.....

I'm close to 100 they would be identical - talking structure/features here, not sound-wise as these creatures develop very differently over the decades.

Tpbiii's Bird would be something third due to its plastic bridge and rosewood insert/saddle.

Apropos that guitar and Nick's asking for Love In Vain. If the reference is the Stones version, are we sure that tune wasn't recorded with a plastic bridge square - ceramic saddled though.

Edited by E-minor7

2 hours ago, tpbiii said:

Hbirdbraces.jpg

Kids, don’t let this happen to your guitar at home!  With such a chewed up bridgeplate, it’s a worst case scenario situation when coupled with the plastic bridge.  The ball ends will be pulling almost directly on the spruce top, and could easily cause the top to develop a crack south of the pin holes.  Hope it got fixed!

• Like 1

Only way we are ever going to know the difference between a production model 62, for example, and the 1960 above would be for someone like Tom to buy it........

Tom? Anyone?

Worthless me buying it - nothing to compare it to.😢

PS....Stones version of RJ’s “Love In Vain” had electric guitars..... I don’t think Keef was serious about acoustics until he met Gram on tour much later...

P.S.S.........Found another 1960 on Reverb.com - cherry burst though - if I have learned anything, it is that it has the same mono engraved guard...

https://reverb.com/item/27823297-gibson-vintage-1960-1st-year-production-hummingbird-1960-cherry-sunburst

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Since the guard was brought up, I thought I'd chime in.

I believe that I told Tom that the early ones were engraved. For the Hummingbird, hand-engraved guards may have only been for the prototypes and custom work. I have not yet seen a production model 'Bird with one. I've been keeping my eye out for 1960 'Birds in particular, but each one that I've seen has the molded guard.  Those are easily identified by their red swirl coloration.  My grandfather did hand-engraving and inlay work on the early Doves, and the Epiphone Excellentes with the Eagle guard. I have even seen production Excellentes signed with his initials near the tree branch base. 

Regarding the monochromatic coloring, I think that has to do with the paint colors aging and the way that the guitar is photographed. The white paint has yellowed, and the yellow has faded. From a distance in low light, the paint looks almost like the same color. When shining a bright light on it, you can see the difference. See the photos below:

U9sLaBrb.jpg

SqMym0T.jpg

Edited by SirNed