Gibson Brands Forums

Help with ES-335 Bridge? Screws point which way?

nutrapuppy

I have a Beale Street Blue ES-335 from around 2001. I got it on Ebay and have had a pretty good time with it. The problem I am having is that I notice when I change strings that if the bridge saddle screw heads face the tailpiece, the strings rub against the screws before they reach the saddles.

That seems like a daft bit of design, though I am no luthier.

Am I supposed to have the screws facing the neck?

I read a bit about this in another area of the forum but never came to a definitive conclusion.

Before you switch your bridge and screws facing towards the neck, verify that the slot, for example for the 1st string, is cut big enough to handle the 6th string. If you reverse the bridge the strings will be in different slots. You may run into the problem of the strings popping off of the bridge saddle slots if they are cut to small to handle the 6th and 5th strings!

Just a thought!

I have a Beale Street Blue ES-335 from around 2001. I got it on Ebay and have had a pretty good time with it. The problem I am having is that I notice when I change strings that if the bridge saddle screw heads face the tailpiece' date=' the strings rub against the screws before they reach the saddles.

That seems like a daft bit of design, though I am no luthier.

Am I supposed to have the screws facing the neck?

I read a bit about this in another area of the forum but never came to a definitive conclusion.[/quote']

Raise the tailpiece?

Murph.

In fact I did raise the tailpiece a bit and the finish cracked a bit around the mounting bolts. I decided to lay off and carefully put it back where it was.

And, after further review, I did what Ken said, which was to simply look at the slots in the saddles. It became obvious very quickly that the design was meant to have the screws facing the neck. Problem Solved.

Now to figure out why it frets so well and the decay rings out so nicely on the whole neck...except for strings 5 and 6 which buzz all nasty above the 12th fret.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Don't just flip the bridge around willy-nilly. The bridge was originally installed with the saddle notched to space the strings out properly - larger notches for the bass strings and smaller ones for the trebles, also the spacing varies so the wound strings are not crowded.

If you have threaded inserts in the top of the guitar, integral thumbwheels with heavy studs underneath, and saddles that are retained by c-clips accessed from underneath the bridge, then it's a "Nashville" bridge, which had the screws facing the tailpiece when it was originally installed.

If the bridge has a retaining wire, small threaded posts that go directly into the wood of the guitar top without any inserts, and thumbwheels that are separate and thread onto the studs, and saddles that will flop out if you remove the wire, then you have an older style ABR-1 bridge. That one would have had the saddle screws facing the neck. (Does it help to think that the ABR-1 was used in the original Kalamazoo Michigan factory up North - where the screws face up North, and the Nashville bridge screws face South?) My understanding is that ES335's have always had the original ABR-1 bridge, but I'm not certain about that.

SO if you have the strings touching the screws, either the bridge got flipped around sometime in it's lifetime, or the tailpiece is too low.

Archived