Gibson Brands Forums

Dove-ish J-180 Ebony Everly? and an eBay caution

62burst

Ever notice the same photos being used on eBay for different listings with different sellers? Nothing new, right? This unusual one just came up:

97e8sNA.png

There is a similar listing, same photos, also from Japan, for ~ $1000 more. I found my J-185 TV Natural finish listed this same way. The shop's logo overlaid on the photo made it difficult to see the cut of the nut- the seller was messaged for a closeup, which was never responded to. Days went by, finally, I contacted the shop directly, whose website claimed "we do not advertise on eBay" and ~"if you see one of our listings there, it is fraudulent..Contact us directly through our website" Could a shadow account and a disclaimer such as this be used to avoid eBay seller fees? And once again, that eBay  listing was also well above price shown on the actual seller's website. Either way, if not for that listing, I would've never found that 2007 natural-finished J-185 TV, which is fairly uncommon. Hmmm...  In researching buying a guitar from Japan, there were many reports of people advertising guitars that they did not have, and if they could sell it (for a profit), they would then go and buy the guitar from the shop that actually had the guitar.  Another added advantage to play before you pay. Or at least asking for additional photos.

The only other photo found of the curious Dove-ish J-180 Ebony and Everly, out in natural light:

3f4xKdn.png

Edited by 62burst

It's a J-180/Dove Custom Shop, a Montana reissue based on a special-order guitar made in the 1960s. In Japan, these kinds of guitar middlemen that list guitars from unaffiliated Japanese guitar shops for international sale are legitimate; it's standard business practice there even. It's still cheaper to buy from the shop directly—if they allow it because often Japanese guitar shops don't deal with foreign customers. That's what the middlemen are there for.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Japan gets to order there as they want them..  there market is huge..   they get stuff we wont see around here..  Remember Hogeyes J185 with the Horses on the finger board.. ?   Japan ordered those with less Horses.. and the U.S never seen one..