Gibson Brands Forums

What do you guys think about this new Frontier?

meanstreak

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Frontier if this quarter's PRS cheque is decent...the issue being that I can't try one out in person, but I can of course return it if I don't like it.

I am at risk of duplicating what I have somewhat as I have a great 1995 Dove, but I love the look of the Frontier and it would be a great guitar for flyaway gigs...I hate putting a Gibson in a plane hold because of the headstock vulnerability, even in my SKB Peli-Case style flightcase.

• Like 2

Can't say I'm crazy about the Frontier's pickguard either.  Neither the shape or the design appeals to me.

But I will say that the Indonesian factory Gibson uses (I believe it's owned by Samick) really knows how to build a good guitar.  I've owned two EL-00s that came from there, and the workmanship is amazing at the given price point.  Tone has been very good on both (one solid spruce top, one solid mahogany top), and playability factors have also been surprisingly good.  I still have the "natural" mahogany top from a limited run in 2016. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bobouz said:

Can't say I'm crazy about the Frontier's pickguard either.  Neither the shape or the design appeals to me.

But I will say that the Indonesian factory Gibson uses (I believe it's owned by Samick) really knows how to build a good guitar.  I've owned two EL-00s that came from there, and the workmanship is amazing at the given price point.  Tone has been very good on both (one solid spruce top, one solid mahogany top), and playability factors have also been surprisingly good.  I still have the "natural" mahogany top from a limited run in 2016. 

I presently have two EL-00 Pros, made in Indonesia (one is a sunburst spruce top from circa 2013 and the other a limited run mahogany natural top one from 2017 and the quality, playability, and acoustic sound in both is quite outstanding...making me too an advocate of the Indonesia factory.  The only minor thing I had to do in both of the described guitars was change out the factory saddles to upgraded versions of tusq saddles and voila, the guitars came alive and stayed alive as workhorses.    I also have a honey burst Masterbuilt Century Series Olympic archtop, also made in the Indonesia plant,  that is quite a good archtop as is, except that I only needed to put on heavier strings than came with it on to make it acoustically come alive.  The only other downside of  the two EL-00 Pros that I find is when they are plugged in, is their built in pickups.  On the two EL-00s, I have kept the installed stock pickups intact, but instead use a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker soundhole hole pickup on both when plugging in to bypass the built in pickups.   On the  Olympic I use the guitar’s built in pickup.  With the described minor changes, I find these Indonesia factory made guitars are really impressive not only for their value, but as standalone instruments.  They are three of my favorite guitars in my larger collection of Gibsons, a Kalamazoo made Epiphone  and  two NY Epiphones, holding their own along side of them in my book.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 5:01 PM, AldoMcD1 said:

I'm considering the Frontier and / or the Excellente, but going to wait until my local store gets them in stock and then I'll demo them in person.

FWIW, I too wanted both. Eventually got a decent deal on the Excellente a few months ago and it is amazing! That ovangkol wood has such a broad frequency spectrum, similar to rosewood. It’s so well balanced, deep bass great mids and crystal highs. Sounds fantastic. The Frontier I admit looks awesome. BUT it’s maple… and I own a lot of maple already… So still on the fence. If you’re gonna choose get the Excellente. Truly incredible instrument. 

I too wanted both. Got the Excellente a few months ago. It’s amazing! That ovangkol tonewood is equal to rosewood in its broad frequency response, without the midrange scoop of rosewood. Maple has limited to no response to lower frequencies, and higher response to highs. So it’s great for jumbos — like the J-200, to balance out the big bodies. I love the look of the Frontier. But I need more rosewood, mahogany and ovangkol for that bass response. Still might get it just for it’s sheer beauty. But the Excellente if you’re on the fence is a stellar sounding instrument. 

• 1 year later...