Gibson Brands Forums

Sweetwater has some of the new models......

BluesKing777

Yeah I was referring to the Dove and 51' J-45 which I wouldn't mind owning. I see it on most of the new standard line and just wished they would leave it up to the owners to decide if they want one or not.  Small pet peeve of mine.

30 minutes ago, Jalex said:

Yeah I was referring to the Dove and 51' J-45 which I wouldn't mind owning. I see it on most of the new standard line and just wished they would leave it up to the owners to decide if they want one or not.  Small pet peeve of mine.

I agree with you 100%. I've never had one on an acoustic (other than my carbon fiber travel guitar), and have no desire for one.

5 hours ago, vacamartin said:

I don’t really know, Vaca.....

But the spec list says 12!  The same spec list also says the LG2 has 1 11/16” nut. I though Banner LG2s had 1 3/4” nuts? Could be correct or somebody cutting and pasting old copy instead of writing up new copy.

I think the only guitar with 16 would be the Slash model J45.

BluesKing777.

14 hours ago, j45nick said:

From the front, the new one looks exactly like my 1943 SJ re-issue.

So Dave, what do you find the tonal differences to be between your rosewood and 'hog SJs?

Not a lot of difference to my ear which isn't saying much. I don't have the best hearing so differences must be drastic for me to notice. I went on a quest for a few years trying to find a rosewood Gibson that sounded as good as my D41. Even my D28's didn't match up. I like a guitar that rings out. Here's what I've been through.

J45 Custom RW - Sounded like it was full of wet socks. Did not keep it long.

CJ-165 RW - too quiet but a very comfortable guitar to play

'34 Jumbo RI Centennial RW - At first it didn't impress me but after keeping it locked up for a year or so with humidipaks it started sounding like a nice AJ. Close to the Martin but not quite there.

AJ RW - It was too close to the Jumbo. Moved it on.

Stage Deluxe RW - It's got the sound I want. 12 fret  and wide nut is a bit limiting for me. I need larger hands.

Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood - Has the sound and very comfortable. Deep body, long scale.

Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce - A little lacking on the sound. Quiet for RW. Very comfortable with the rolled fingerboard. 

From this venture I think I need either a deep body or long scale to get the sound I'm looking for. For comfort sake I think I need a 14 fret NL RW.

Edited by Dave F