Gibson Brands Forums

Action j-160 e standard

Hi everybody!!

I am changing my Gibson’s J160e strings to 11s (before 12s), and I have verified that the action of the guitar is very high...

On the other hand, when placing the strings I have seen that the bridge has two string marks, as if when touching the previous strings they had moved and now I do not know what the correct position is.
Please look at these pictures, what do you think ?.  Thank you for your help

If anyone have this guitar, please help me.!!!

18-CB8-DD7-FA1-D-41-B8-9-A7-A-7-FBF1-C63
A6725-B16-95-A2-45-E5-92-B3-275-C7666-D8
25262-A3-B-0-B07-49-B9-9667-1499462183-A

DC98-EFF9-6-DD0-4-B46-A7-B9-0881687403-F

Check for neck straightness and adjust the truss rod accordingly. If you can't do a setup yourself, I always recommend getting the guitar to a competent luthier or guitar technician for a professional setup.  Other than that, Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide for self-education purposes is a good starting point for DIYler.

2 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Check for neck straightness and adjust the truss rod accordingly. If you can't do a setup yourself, I always recommend getting the guitar to a competent luthier or guitar technician for a professional setup.  Other than that, Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide for self-education purposes is a good starting point for DIYler.

Thank you. I think it’s better to contact a luthier ...I'm not very skillful with this 😔

40 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Agree with Leonard, you need a setup.  7/64s is not uncommon for a gibson to come factory set this way.  and yes, that is high action.  It should be closer to 4~5/64s, B and 3~4/64s T.

Thanks! But I do not understand when you say: “4-5/64s B and 3-4/64s T”.  I found this information for Gibson’s guitar:

49642-B00-4244-4-F7-F-B50-B-1-B06530-F7-

I was meaning for example some where between 3/64s and 4/64s treble,

It doesn't need to be exactly on either,  that's just a ball park that I expect you'd probably be most comfortable with.  keep in mind the numbers are just a guides... they are not absolute measurements,  it's down to what works for you,  how light/heavy your touch is, how hard you strum, etc..

Any setup like this,... the idea would be to go lower in very small increments, until it feels right.   we don't live or die by these numbers.

If you are having someone do this for you, expect that you may have to do a few visits unless he/she can work with you.  which a lot of setup techs are doing these days.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I was meaning for example some where between 3/64s and 4/64s treble,

It doesn't need to be exactly on either,  that's just a ball park that I expect you'd probably be most comfortable with.  keep in mind the numbers are just a guides... they are not absolute measurements,  it's down to what works for you,  how light/heavy your touch is, how hard you strum, etc..

Any setup like this,... the idea would be to go lower in very small increments, until it feels right.   we don't live or die by these numbers.

If you are having someone do this for you, expect that you may have to do a few visits unless he/she can work with you.  which a lot of setup techs are doing these days.

Thanks for explaining it better. Now I have this action treble:

D576-F577-6-E28-42-DD-992-A-302-D7-F963-

It is a very high action!!!! Do you think it is possible to get 3-4/64 in this guitar?

I am looking for a luthier to make the changes...

That action is a bit high,  agree.  is this a new guitar? 

Without seeing it in person, I reckon that it should be doable.  A combination of regulating the nut slots, setting the truss rod for minimal relief and possibly  a bit of shaving (small amounts of) off the bottom of the saddle should do the trick.

Thank you for your help.

It is not a new guitar. 
A couple of years ago I took the guitar to a luthier to lower the strings a little and he said that it was no longer possible to lower them.  The truth is at that time the guitar mounted  12 gauge. Now I have changed to a 11 gauge and in my opinion I think it could go lower but I don't know and that's why I'm asking you.

I’m sorry, my English is not good at all 😞

A new string gauge is minimal differences unless the lighter gauge leads to more of a back bow in the neck which should in effect lower the action.  

Going from 12s to 11s should not be a MAJOR difference, where only a slight turn of the truss rod would  usually be needed.

is it possible something else is going on?  sure.  Many thing come into play, but to speculate just adds worry and concern where maybe nothing is really wrong.

If it was my guitar and I was told I reached a dead end by a setup / repair guy, I would find another setup tech and see what they think.  (eg: Second opinion..)

Edited by kidblast

Your guitar may be in for a neck reset or just a proper professional setup. Fact of the matter is, nobody here really knows or can tell just by looking at those few select photographs and by taking into account the little information you have given. I fear you need to get her to a competent luthier for a proper inspection.