Gibson Brands Forums

Strings land - Birds take off

E-minor7

15 minutes ago, Murph said:

Don't be dissin' the banjer...

Oh, I’m not!! I own three now, including a 1890s Gatcomb I just picked up (maybe a frankenbanjo, but the neck and pot are for sure old). It needs to be switched over to gut strings for neck safety. It’s got steel on right now, which means I can’t play it for more than a few minutes.  

13 hours ago, Murph said:

Just kidding.

That's a great story, it just took a while.

Yez, , , I wanted to build up something larger than life - a la the 1965 movie Doctor Zhivago or an early Pink Floyd album.                                                                                                                                                                                                             Don't know, might revive the thread a 4th time when the Gibson Bronze wires fall down and find themselves.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Shall we say mid-summer. . 

11 hours ago, 62burst said:

A noble experiment with a happy outcome.

Good to keep in mind the metal fatigue that occurs on strings, or any metal,  when worked, or brought up to tension. The luthier/guitar fixer person, when trying to sort out an intonation issue on an Eastman I had, mentioned intonation being one of the things that can be affected by old strings.

And as mentioned we still need to know how long these strings will keep ringing, , , or sound good on the Birds. Again will chime back in July. 

Sure, old steel can get sour. Another factor regarding bad intonation is the nut grooves. They mustn't be too high. 

11 hours ago, 62burst said:

Also- one of the reasons I like the longevity of Elixir strings is the idea that each time a string's ball end comes up against the bridge plate when changing strings and bringing them up to full tension, there is just a little more wear/gouging on the 'plate each time. 

Ouh, that's a seriously sensitive angle. I began putting on an extra ball-end maybe a year ago. Don't know, but had an idea the flat b-plate contact is milder than the round.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      May be nonsense.

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

I began putting on an extra ball-end maybe a year ago. Don't know, but had an idea the flat b-plate contact is milder than the round.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      May be nonsense.

Ok- I could see that. It might even result in more contact with the bridgeplate. . . . as long as there is little/no loss in vibrations to the top along the way.

05wwizz.jpg

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Ok- I could see that. It might even result in more contact with the bridgeplate. . . . as long as there is little/no loss in vibrations to the top along the way.

05wwizz.jpg

'Xactly. 

Very good pic btw. - Is it a Fokker D VII ?

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

'Xactly. 

Very good pic btw. - Is it a Fokker D VII ?

I would tell you what model Fokker that was, but I might get banned. 

The eight-pointed cross was showing up in the 16th century, so the design got around.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 62burst said:

I would tell you what model Fokker that was, but I might get banned. 

The eight-pointed cross was showing up in the 16th century, so the design got around.

Aren't most 'modern' crosses 8-pointed. And yes, it's a powerful piece of logo-work. I come to think that this also is called the Maltese cross. 

Just now, E-minor7 said:

Aren't most 'modern' crosses 8-pointed. And yes, it's a powerful piece of logo-work. I come to think that this also is called the Maltese cross. 

Obviously not an expert here     ☩   whatever it may be. 

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Yep, had those. Thery were impossible to catch up with, even with a fast motorcycle...

Maybe try to change fuel. . 1HPQVnh.jpg

(note I didn't write gas)