Gibson Brands Forums

Stevie8

Stevie8

Hi there, I've recently purchased a 2nd hand 335. I noticed by the logo and decal there seems to be an outline that worries my it could be fake. The rest of the guitar it's normal and good quality. Could you have a look at the photo for me please amd confirm this is normal with 335's? Its from 2014. Thanks 

Thanks 
Stevie

20200524_140430.jpg

The anomalies on the "Inlays" are not that unusual for Gibson in that era. Fakes are metric and tend to not use Gibson brand markings on their components like, tuners, bridges, pots and pickups. Also the Gibson truss rod uses a special socket style wrench where copies just use a hex key . To authenticate better need more photos of the whole  guitar.

Edited by mihcmac

Another tell that is being reported about Chibsons, is that the Gibson headstock Break Angle of 17° is not being copied, but much closer to the Epiphone 14° Break Angle.

Note: Many luthiers report that Gibsons have the highest number of headstock breakage of any guitar.

The Epiphone 14° Break Angle, possibly being more flexible, rarely breaks, but finish fractures are common..