Gibson Brands Forums

HELP Identifying possible Gibson classical guitar

Broken0216

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and I apologize in advance if I break any rules that I’m unaware of.

I would really appreciate any help in identifying a classical guitar that may possibly be a Gibson. I’m very wary as there are many counterfeits in the market.

I’ll try to add photos later, but I’m looking at a guitar for sale and thinking about purchasing it if it’s a real Gibson. The seller says that they’re selling it as a copy because it doesn’t have any sticker/stamp in the sound hole (and they can’t be responsible if it turns out to be fake). 

They show the serial number, which seems to be 515342, making it a 1965 or 1968?

The i in the logo is dotted, which, I suppose, rules out he possibly of a 1968?

There seems to be a ton of finish checking, leading me to believe it is indeed from around that period.

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

D4B3D244-FC9B-4C8D-84B4-495B14839A10.jpeg

E0FDEF04-A2B5-4881-A601-EF8FCB3F409C.jpeg

02073F06-F57B-4896-858B-A6C8AB88C405.jpeg

Edited by Broken0216

While I don't know the details of most of the Gibson classical models, this one looks authentic, down to the zero fret.

My best guess is a C-1 from 1965 or 1968.

The details of the rosette around the soundhole are typical of Gibson classicals, especially the C-1.

The lack of a label does not disqualify it, since the glue on the labels sometimes fails, and they go astray.

These are not high-value guitars, by the way. In really good condition, I've seen them advertised for sale in the $500 range, sometimes less, rarely more.

Welcome to the Gibson acoustic forum.

Thanks so much for the info!

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Looks like my C1. The rosette is just a decal. 

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

While I don't know the details of most of the Gibson classical models, this one looks authentic, down to the zero fret.

My best guess is a C-1 from 1965 or 1968.

The details of the rosette around the soundhole are typical of Gibson classicals, especially the C-1.

The lack of a label does not disqualify it, since the glue on the labels sometimes fails, and they go astray.

These are not high-value guitars, by the way. In really good condition, I've seen them advertised for sale in the $500 range, sometimes less, rarely more.

Welcome to the Gibson acoustic forum.

I thought C1s had binding? This guitar doesn’t seem to have any at all.

Would that still make it a C1? Or something lesser?

Thanks again!

Ken