Gibson Brands Forums

Hello

flip

On 7/13/2020 at 11:35 PM, Retired said:

Welcome Flip.  Nice guitars,  how old is your grandson?  I tried to get ours interested in playing at one.  He's 5 now but now we don't have him so much. His sister is 3 and of course I got her interested also.  

He'll be nine in August. I gave him a 1/2 size Spanish guitar with nylon strings when he was 6. We worked our way through a Beginner kid's book (published in Australia, sorry don't have it here) which was mainly single notes on staff music, a few chords and rhythm. You'll know he's clicked when he starts playing it without having to be reminded to practice. He now follows a book by Justin Sandercoe which has staff notation, TAB and chords. Many years ago I ran a kid's music group in the village where I lived - invaluable experience though I have no other qualifications.

18 hours ago, flip43 said:

He'll be nine in August. I gave him a 1/2 size Spanish guitar with nylon strings when he was 6. We worked our way through a Beginner kid's book (published in Australia, sorry don't have it here) which was mainly single notes on staff music, a few chords and rhythm. You'll know he's clicked when he starts playing it without having to be reminded to practice. He now follows a book by Justin Sandercoe which has staff notation, TAB and chords. Many years ago I ran a kid's music group in the village where I lived - invaluable experience though I have no other qualifications.

I like Justin Sandercoe. First song I learned from him was, "Stairway To Heaven".  He taught it in sections so I learned one, and practiced that for a week and then did the next one and so on.  He's pretty accurate.  As a teen, I used to read notes and knew them all on the guitar past the 12 fret but had forgotten most all as I aged. I just do tabs now, Much easier for me. I plan on getting Grayson his first guitar this next birthday.  He's still pretty small for his age so it will have to be a small guitar.