Gibson Brands Forums

Adding a Cap to a Volume Pot?

KenA

Hi.

I made an schematic image that illustrate a 1 pickup, 1 Volume diagram for a guitar in that style, eg. almost a Jr. except for the absence of the Tone knob.

1. Add a capacitor to convert the Vol. pot to a Tone Pot. Which lugs should be soldered?

2. Treble Bleed, cap + resistor. Which lugs should be soldered?

For either 1. & 2. , should the wirings be modified?

1HB_1V.jpg

Edited by KenA
fix typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll take a stab at it.  No guarantees...  If you want the volume pot to roll off some treble when you roll off the volume, put the cap between lug one and ground (the case of the pot).  It won't be a tone pot, but it might work.

A treble bleed cap/resistor combination would be put in parallel between lugs 1 and 3.

• Like 1

I'll try the treble bleed just to see what happens, but most probably go back to the original scheme.

I forgot to mention that I'm using a 500K pot (audio curve),  but now comes the doubt: 0.022 or 0.047 cap? and 100ohms or 130ohms ... maybe I'll try all possible combos?

A cap or a treble bleed is intended to enhance how much tone depth or how it reacts on the tone pot, usually installed between lug 2 and ground. Whether you use a .02 or a .047 cap determine how much the tone control reacts. If you install a treble bleed or cap on a volume pot you will be turning it into a volume/tone control which I don't think would be very desirable. As turning down would also be turning it to mud..

J27849000000000-00-600x600.jpg

• Like 1

Yeap, that's what I was thinking. Just for the sake of experimenting i'll probably try it, but at the end it will most likely to stay original as it is now. Thanks everyone for the input!

13 minutes ago, KenA said:

Yeap, that's what I was thinking. Just for the sake of experimenting i'll probably try it, but at the end it will most likely to stay original as it is now. Thanks everyone for the input!

One of the reasons some hot humbucker guitars don't have a tone control is because the best sound from a humbucker is wide open..

• Like 1