Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge for 1977 LP Standard

efj2008

I have a 1977 LP standard that has all original parts, I am trying to restore it by replacing some of the worn out parts. Can anyone tell me if this bridge will fit on my '77?  or is there another model I need.

Golden Age Roller Bridge - https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/bridges-and-tailpieces/bridges-and-tailpieces-for-electric-guitar/golden-age-roller-bridge.html

golden-age-roller-bridge.jpg

I don't understand, why would you want a roller bridge unless your LP has a Tremolo? Wouldn't a 77 Gibson LP Standard normally have the standard Tune-O-Matic in chrome nickel or gold? 

Note that USA Gibson Les Paul bridges are SAE sizes and Asian Les Pauls are Metric.

ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic..

original-abr-1-tune-o-matic-bridge.jpg

Or the Nashville Tune-O-Matic..

PBBR-030__92359.1315426331-600x597.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Thanks mihcmac,

Yes, the original is chrome, I was thinking of changing all the hardware to black.

I saw the bridge with the rollers and liked that I would not have to file grooves in the saddles when installing. Are you saying this type of bridge would not work on this guitar? 

Thanks for any advice.

54 minutes ago, efj2008 said:

Thanks mihcmac,

Yes, the original is chrome, I was thinking of changing all the hardware to black.

I saw the bridge with the rollers and liked that I would not have to file grooves in the saddles when installing. Are you saying this type of bridge would not work on this guitar? 

Thanks for any advice.

Most all of the Bridges come "Black, Chrome, Nickel or Gold". Roller Bridges are frequently used to help equalize the string tension when a Tremolo is used, but they will work just fine as a stand alone Bridge. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got my '77 LP Standard up and running and it plays like it's 1977 all over again! I changed all the hardware to black, even all the various screws. New tuners, strap buttons, bridge and end piece, nut, knobs, pickup mounting rings, etc., set up and intonated and ready to rock.1464427044_100_0002(3)(480x640).jpg.da225a3b2132a2272cc756034da2e1bb.jpg

• Like 2