Gibson Brands Forums

J45 thru vox ac15

Mediocre man

It would probably sound good, but not necessarily beatly.

The code behind J & G 's sound is not least the kind of cold slightly metallic combo of ceramic saddles and the latter-braced plywood guitars. 

Listening in you'll notice that these 160s weren't the conventional warm merging 'wooden' factor but rather pretty harsh semi-acoustic rock instruments.  Well, guess you already know. 

Edited by E-minor7

J-160E's had a P90 Pickup as well.

While J45's might look similar it's a totally different Guitar....

That said, AC15's are great Amps. Especially if they have Celestion Alnico Blue Speakers.... Your J45 would sound great thru one..

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

That said, AC15's are great Amps. Especially if they have Celestion Alnico Blue Speakers.... Your J45 would sound great thru one..

Good point - and they were recorded through the Vox amps, , , though also sometimes miked up, which may have started a few years in.

Actually not sure if there's a pattern or a point where they go from one method to the other - guess they switched their way forward by ear. 

Research on the topic has of course been done down in every corner.

This book would probably tells a lot ~ Recording the Beatles by Kevin Ryan & Brian Kehew: Good Hardcover ...  I recall it as splendid. 

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

This is the most important thing. With a P-90 at the end of the fretboard, the J-160E is essentially a flat-top version of the ES-125. Other than the new humbucker-equipped J-45, the rest don't have electric guitar pickups.

That said, one of my favorite electric guitar recordings was actually made with my Martin and an undersaddle pickup through multiple effects.

Epstine had a deal that as long as he was alive, or maybe as long as he was their Manager the boys would play Vox. That of course ended when they went to see the Maharishi in  Wales, and Brian took his life.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On August 25, 2020 at 7:43 AM, pohatu771 said:

This is the most important thing. With a P-90 at the end of the fretboard, the J-160E is essentially a flat-top version of the ES-125. Other than the new humbucker-equipped J-45, the rest don't have electric guitar pickups.

That said, one of my favorite electric guitar recordings was actually made with my Martin and an undersaddle pickup through multiple effects.

I own a Ltd. Edition Bozeman Masterbilt Gibson Solid Top J-160E. It sounds great as an Electric Guitar & it also sounds great as an Acoustic... Which is why I chose it over the J-45's.... The Beatles connection had a lot to do with it too...