Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery Goth G-400...possible counterfeit?

jcmathews

Hi. I recently picked up this Epiphone Goth G-400, but it's a mystery. If you look at the photo, the actual serial number was covered up with a sticker showing another number. I removed the sticker and moved it down so you can see both the sticker and the serial number underneath. In addition, the last digits of the serial number have been scratched out. Finally, there's an odd indentation above ther serial number that I don't recall seeing on other models of this guitar.  Everything else looks legit, including "Epiphone" stamped on the back of the pickups and the three-way switch. So...anyone have any ideas for an explanation? Counterfeit? Replacement neck? I bought this pretty cheaply to mod and resell, but I don't want to pass along a guitar of questionable origin. Thanks in advance.

And a follow-up question, assuming it's legit...how are the pickups in these? I was gonna swap them out for some Korean made Guitar Madness or Dragonfire pickups that I use a lot, since I thought these were Epi's lower-end ceramics. Turns out they're Alnico V humbuckers, but I can't find any info about them. 

IMG_1314.jpg.acc1adbfd14216752d3618317e7c4f2e.jpg

Edited by jcmathews

Almost certainly a second, they used to sell them to refurb companies for various reasons from broken necks to minor wiring problems. The companies would then repair and sell on with a USED stamp on the back of the head and the serial altered. Usually they added a new serial number sticker that in no way relates to epiphone. I think the main company was MIRC.

I know yours doesn't say used, but I'm not sure what else it is supposed to be. Bad stamp maybe?

I've never seen a fake with those stickers on the back, from that picture alone I see no way its fake.

1 hour ago, Matt4356 said:

Almost certainly a second, they used to sell them to refurb companies for various reasons from broken necks to minor wiring problems. The companies would then repair and sell on with a USED stamp on the back of the head and the serial altered. Usually they added a new serial number sticker that in no way relates to epiphone. I think the main company was MIRC.

I know yours doesn't say used, but I'm not sure what else it is supposed to be. Bad stamp maybe?

I've never seen a fake with those stickers on the back, from that picture alone I see no way its fake.

That's really interesting. Other than the serial number and indentation on back of the headstock, I can't find anything the least bit substandard or even unusual about this guitar. Looks like I got a pretty good deal after all. 

What about those pickups? Got any suggestions there?

I tend to leave my pickups stock, the only changes I've made have been putting a tone rider alnico 2 in the bridge of my sheraton and a set of TV jones on a Gretsch.

I know that around 2012-13 quite a few stamped used 50th anniversary sheratons were being sold with Seymour Duncan pickups as the only visible change, one of my only guitar regrets is not picking one up.

Your guitar should have epiphone open coil 700T/ 650R humbuckers.

Gothg400.jpg

300px-GothHeadstock.jpg

Goth G-400           (from Epiphone Wiki)

Body:

• Mahogany body 

Neck:

• Set Mahogany neck 
  • Rosewood fingerboard with an "XII" inlay at the 12th fret 
  • Gothic Cross design on headstock
  • 24.75" scale 
  • 1.68" nut width

Electronics:

• Alnico Classic humbuckers 
  • 2 Vol. 2 Tone controls 
  • 3-way selector switch