Gibson Brands Forums

Cases: Caballero, EL-00, and Olympic

pohatu771

I'm on an unusual quest for a hardshell case right now, and, of course, it's something uncommon that isn't in my multiple local stores to test.

After buying my Texan, I've come to appreciate the quality of the case. I'm now trying to upgrade the very basic classical-sized case of my Gibson LG-0, which has the same body as the recent Epiphone Caballero reissue.

Gibson offers a case they advertise for the L-00 and LG-2, but it's a bit expensive and not in stock anywhere That one is a dark brown with black interior. The case Epiphone advertises for the EL-00 appears to be the same quality, but has a black exterior with a brown accent and a grey interior. I've seen people selling Caballeros in this case, and Gibson offers one case for their equivalent models, so I'm confident it is a good-enough fit.

I've also just seen the Masterbilt Century-branded case for the Olympic model. From the photo, it looks like the  same case with nicer decoration, and I know the lower bout of the Olympic is the same size as an LG/Caballero.  Does anyone own, or have access to, this case and some Gibson or Epiphone LG-sized guitar to confirm that it fits? I would just buy it from Guitar Center and return in store if it doesn't fit, but they don't even offer it.

For your benefit, I tried the TKL hard shell/ grey plush lined case that I keep my 1965 Gibson LG-1, where it snugly fits into, out on my 1965 FT30 Caballero.  Fits perfect.  Then, I tried my Masterbuilt Olympic in the same case.  Fits perfect.  Then, I tried my EL-00 Pro in it.  It DOESN’T fit.  The large lower bout of the EL-00 Pro is too large to fit in the case.  So, you may have a problem getting a hard shell case that snugly fits a Caballero, Olympic, and an .EL-00 Pro based on my test sampling of my TDL case.  My TDL hard shell case, if I am correct, is to fit a concert size guitar, which technically is the size of my LG-1.   

Hope this helps.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

On 10/9/2020 at 6:45 PM, bobouz said:

Can’t help re the cases you referenced, but most classical-size cases should fit the LG-0.  You might want to check Guitar Center’s offerings online, since you can order online but return items to your local GC if not satisfied. 

Guitar Center only carries one I'm considering (and neither of the Epiphone models), or I'd do that. I currently have it in an inexpensive classical case that I think was sold as Musician's Gear (a decade ago).

4 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

For your benefit, I tried the TKL hard shell/ grey plush lined case that I keep my 1965 Gibson LG-1, where it snugly fits into, out on my 1965 FT30 Caballero.  Fits perfect.  Then, I tried my Masterbuilt Olympic in the same case.  Fits perfect.  Then, I tried my EL-00 Pro in it.  It DOESN’T fit.  The large lower bout of the EL-00 Pro is too large to fit in the case.  So, you may have a problem getting a hard shell case that snugly fits a Caballero, Olympic, and an .EL-00 Pro based on my test sampling of my TDL case.  My TDL hard shell case, if I am correct, is to fit a concert size guitar, which technically is the size of my LG-1.   

Hope this helps.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

It did surprise me that Gibson markets their case as for the L-00 and LG-2, because the L-00 is bigger on the bottom and smaller at the top. It doesn't seem like one case would fit both comfortably. How long is the Olympic, compared to your LG-1 and Caballero?

I know I'm overcomplicating this, but the case with my Texan is so much nicer than the cases I have other guitars in. I actually ordered the Gibson J-45 case (the same build, but different colors, as far as I can tell)  to upgrade my J-45.

Edited by pohatu771

16 hours ago, pohatu771 said:

Guitar Center only carries one I'm considering (and neither of the Epiphone models), or I'd do that. I currently have it in an inexpensive classical case that I think was sold as Musician's Gear (a decade ago).

It did surprise me that Gibson markets their case as for the L-00 and LG-2, because the L-00 is bigger on the bottom and smaller at the top. It doesn't seem like one case would fit both comfortably. How long is the Olympic, compared to your LG-1 and Caballero?

I know I'm overcomplicating this, but the case with my Texan is so much nicer than the cases I have other guitars in. I actually ordered the Gibson J-45 case (the same build, but different colors, as far as I can tell)  to upgrade my J-45.

in answer to your question regarding lengths, my Olympic is 41”, my LG-1 is 40” (actually very slightly under 40”), and my FT30 Caballero is 41”.

One thing that occurred to me is it is possible that the lower bout of a Gibson L-00 could possibly be a different size than the Epiphone EL-00 Pro’s lower bout.  The EL-00 never claimed to be an exact replica of a L-00, and, actually if I am not mistaken, Epiphone’s marketing description of the EL-00 actually refers to it as derived from a 1930’s era Epiphone 00 sized guitar not as an Epiphone version of a Gibson L-00.  Although, the original Epiphone Company and Gibson were competitors and often had similar , but different versions of guitars.  So it’s possible that the referenced case may fit a Gibson L-00 but not an Epiphone EL-00..  Without our knowing and comparing the size of a lower bout on both brand’s 00, one can’t really know.  Just thinking...

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

The current version of Epi’s EL-00 Pro is 15” wide at the lower bout.

Bobouz-can you double check that?  My 2012 EL-00 Pro and my 2017 Ltd Ed Mahog NA EL-00 Pro measure 15 7/16” at the widest part of their lower bout.  That’s a 7/16 “discrepancy.  Enough to not fit a 15” lower bout case.

My 1965 LG1 measures 14 6/16” at its widest lower bout point.  The case it’s in measures 15” with grey plush lining.  My Olympic  and Caballero can fit in it, but not my EL-00s.   That 7/16” EL-00 discrepancy between your measurement and mine could effect the poster’s case decision.  Best to double check.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

1 hour ago, QuestionMark said:

Bobouz-can you double check that?  My 2012 EL-00 Pro and my 2017 Ltd Ed Mahog NA EL-00 Pro measure 15 7/16” at the widest part of their lower bout.  That’s a 7/16 “discrepancy.  Enough to not fit a 15” lower bout case.

Jeff - Thanks for making me look, because this is a little weird.  I clearly remembered the measurement incorrectly, but guess what?  Mine is even wider than yours!  Like you, I have the all-natural Ltd Ed mahogany version, made in 2016.  I triple-checked the measurement, and it’s 15-10/16” at it’s widest point.  Hard to imagine a 3/16” discrepancy on the same exact model, but there it is.

I have the guitar in a case that’s listed as 15” wide, which might be how that figure got locked in my mind.  But this also explains why it’s a very snug fit!..... Bob

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

Jeff - Thanks for making me look, because this is a little weird.  I clearly remembered the measurement incorrectly, but guess what?  Mine is even wider than yours!  Like you, I have the all-natural Ltd Ed mahogany version, made in 2016.  I triple-checked the measurement, and it’s 15-10/16” at it’s widest point.  Hard to imagine a 3/16” discrepancy on the same exact model, but there it is.

I have the guitar in a case that’s listed as 15” wide, which might be how that figure got locked in my mind.  But this also explains why it’s a very snug fit!..... Bob

Bob-I think we’re both losing it a bit!  I just went back and remeasured the widest point on both of EL-00 Pros and sure enough they measure 15 10/16”, the same as yours.  So between your initial faulty memory and my not being able to initially correctly read a tape measure...by golly, I think we’ve finally been able to figure out how wide the lower bouts are on our EL-00 Pros!   Usually success is the journey, but in this journey, success was overcoming our stumbling to measure a guitar’s lower bout.  It’s like the old joke, how many men does it take to measure a guitar...never mind, I never thought that joke was funny.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

• 5 weeks later...

For future reference, so that no one stumbles upon this thread without a definitive answer in a decade like I often do...

I ordered the Epiphone Masterbilt Century Olympic case. It's not quite as nice as I was hoping - it's a bit flimsier than the Canadian TKL cases and the fake leather feels faker. It's not a noticeable enough downgrade to return it, but I do occasionally wish I had just ordered the Gibson version for more money. The photos are often minimal on the different sites, so be aware that the interior lid has an Epiphone logo cut into the lining.

My 1965 LG-0 fits. The upper bout is tight and the lower bout is loose, but with some time in the case the padding will compress and it will be a very secure fit. There are about three extra inches from the top of the Gibson headstock (unlike another case I have that fits the LG-0 perfectly, with no room for anything longer), so you could put whatever slightly-longer guitars you come across in it.

• Thanks 1