Gibson Brands Forums

A Short Blues on the BluesKing Played by BluesKing777!

BluesKing777

After looking at the photos and blurb of the new 50s style LG2, I just had to drag out the Blues King, it is sounding and playing fabulously.....13 or 14 years old now and really 'kicking in'.

If they ever, ever get an LG2 at my local, it would be interesting to play the BK next to it.....advantage to BK - 14 years of play, great setup years ago by my luthier. LG2 better not be a klunker! (assuming they ever get one in).

I have mentioned before that every Saturday morning I grab a guitar and play strictly fingerpicking blues in C style with a capo on the 3rd fret, but being tricky I tune the guitar down 2 frets worth. I pressed record to get a short idea of what I do and while a lot of the original songs seem to be about cocaine, I only had a cup of tea! And my new Capo Noir Shubb in black is terrific for bent notes!

o5z8Lb9h.jpg

BluesKing777.

I am liking the sound of the BK acoustically, but I was playing it through Tonedexter to improve the sound of the supplied Baggs Element pickup and I still don't like it much.... I didn't know much about acoustic pickups when I bought the guitar 14 odd years ago, but now I know a bit......😎

If it was on the rack for sale new today, I just wouldn't have bought the guitar with that pickup.

So I am deciding between ripping it out  and putting in a Baggs Anthem or a K&K Trinity. ...... the Anthem, I could leave the existing saddle probably - the Anthem is an Element undersaddle with a TruMic on the bridgeplate. The K&K Trinity system I have on other guitars is a passive unit with pickup on the bridgeplate and a mic in the soundhole joined at the endpin and run with a stereo lead to a K&K Trinity Pro preamp outside the guitar....easy to change batteries! But the existing Element would be ripped out and the guitar would need a new saddle as the height is different without the pickup.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777