Gibson Brands Forums

Biggest neck? 1936 j35 historic?

chipss36

12 hours ago, chipss36 said:

in currently available guitars. 
Is the Gibson Historic 1936 J-35 the largest most baseball, neck of the historic’s?

anyone have one?

I like 50s les Pual necks, and the srv fender necks...I can not lie, I like big necks.

I have heard the 1950s Gibson necks referred to as mid-century modern rounded C.  They generally come in at around .91" to .93" at the 1st.  My Fairbanks Smeck has a similar neck carve measuring .93" at the 1st and 1.25" at the 9th so a thicker taper than anything  Bozeman uses.  The only guitar I have owned which had a neck which I would describe as a Louisville Slugger was an early-1940s Regal jumbo 12 string.  I swear that neck was as thick at the 1st fret as my Fairbanks is at the 9th.  After playing that guitar every neck feels sleek to me.

8 hours ago, tpbiii said:

Huh.  I have both a 1935 Jumbo and a 1936 J-35, and neither has a particularly big neck.

Best,

-Tom

My '32 L1 also has what I find to be a sleek C carve neck.  Very different from the L-00 neck carve.  I had a 1939 L-12 in the house for a bit which also had a similar modern feeling C neck carve.