Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone heard or played 1956 to 1958 built Gibson ES-135?

Taylor Player

Another potential opportunity for me here.... (I am most likely jumping the gun, but it never hurts to do research!)

I also posted this in the "Vintage" section but they don't get as much traffic over there, so I am asking here since a bunch of you guys seem to know your old archtops.....

I am thinking about trying to add this 56 Gibson to my small collection. It is a 1956 ES-135 according to the owner. I have been checking around and there does not seem to be much information on these as they were only built from 1956 to 1958 from what I can find. I think I read that maybe only 500-600 were made? Could that be right.

Does anyone have any information on them?

Here is the only photo I currently have of it.

56gibsonES135.jpg

I played several shows on the same bill as Devon Sproule in 2007, who plays the slightly more basic 125 variation of that guitar.

They are stunning instruments, and the P90 in hers sounded immense-DI'd through the PA system!

Here's one -- Herb Ellis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY1UDWxPkY8&feature=related

Notice the gizmo on the first fret to get rid of open strings. He must not be playing 1st fret.

I do not mess with picup screws like he recommends. Does anyhone else? My Hamer came out of the box just about ready. I alsol have been happy with the Washburn J6 -- not a pricey guitar -- but great for electric. Thicker neck.

The 125s and 135 were essentially student guitars. They sound fine, and the pickups in them aren't very noisy, but they will never give you the full, rich tones you find in the 335s.

They make a decent rock and roll electric strummer.

• 2 weeks later...

I found an es 135 a month ago and bought it as a 125 from 1946( from '46 until about '49 they made trapezoid inlays but no neck-bindings ,what I didn't know at this moment) For me the binding on the neck was the point to change my mind and to consider it as a 135 from 1956 (Serial Nr. V6...-8). In my opinion it's looking better than the 125 and the playability and sound are really nice. I love that piece of history and also that they made only 500-600 pieces during 1956-1958. That makes it real rare ;-)

Archived