Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom L-5 (sn 907259) question

lars509

Hi, 

I just found a Gibson Custom L-5 natural solid body  at an estate sale. I have not been able to find any info on it. The serial number is 907259. Does anyone know anything about this model. The bridge is very different than on any of the photos I find on the internet.

Thanks,

Lars

IMG_20210306_122328950.png

Lars

This guitar is a  Gibson L-6S Deluxe from the 1970s which may have been stripped and definitely has had the pickups and bridge replaced.

Someone has put an extra mini-toggle switch in and also drilled another hole in the top.

The L-6S Deluxe came in wine red, black, or the now rare sunburst AFAIK.  I don't remember them in natural but I could easily be wrong. :-k

The more expensive L-6S Custom was usually natural, black, sometimes sunburst or silverburst and had a tailpiece mounted on the body.   Both originally had 'harmonica' style bridges.

The Deluxe had very distinctive (and very good) black pickups made by Bill Lawrence.  The Custom had chrome covered pickups and a rotary switch as well.

I had a wine-red L-6S Deluxe with the Lawrence pickups and through-body stringing and a Gibson chainsaw case.  Should have kept it!!

Link to Google Images of Gibson L-6S:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gibson+l6+deluxe&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi1qM-lyZzvAhVRZcAKHdokBswQ_AUoAnoECAoQBA&biw=1920&bih=1086

Edited by jdgm

Yes that is definitely the wrong truss rod cover.   An L-5 is a big semi-acoustic jazz guitar and there is an L-5S which is a fancy solid body,

Again, as far as I remember with the L-6S, some had blank TRCs and some had L-6S engraved on it.

Edited by jdgm

Yes those have been changed, very badly done unfortunately but they are good machine heads.

BTW do NOT get rid of the black pickup surrounds as they are original, with that sort of v chevron point on one side. I can't see enough detail from the pic but it looks as if someone has screwed a white pickup ring on top of the original black one, though the actual pickup looks as if it is loose?  

The bridge looks pretty bad too and I think the string spacing is not quite right compared to what it should be.

To find out if the body was stripped, have a look in the control cavity at the back and/or the pickup cavities to see if there's any paint left in there.

A shame it has been treated thus; it is completely salvageable, but to restore it properly would probably cost more than you paid for it.  Very unlikely to find a set of the original Lawrence pickups.

Thank for the info, I will check it out. It will definitely cost more to restore it than I payed for it... I payed $50 (+ $5 for the stand). I will just keep it as is for now and add original parts as I find them, the guitar sounds really good and I don't have any plans to part with it.

• 2 weeks later...