Gibson Brands Forums

Legit J-45ADJ?

jibberish

The guitar looks legit to me. the bridge needs replacing, the case is not original, and the pickguard looks slightly oversize, so may be a replacement.

But the guitar looks legit, and would be a very good buy if it sells near that current bid.

By 1960, the necks were starting to get thinner front-to-back. ZW here calls them "backless wonders." They still have a 1 11/16" nut.

My wife's 1960 J200 has the "R" prefix four digit FON.  Although the ADJ bridge was still an option in 1960 Gibson shipped far more J45s with that feature than guitars with the standard  pin bridge. Gibson did not charge extra for the ADJ bridge with both versions selling for $135.  1960 was the last year for the brown Lifton case so as already noted the case is aftermarket.  Because the original cases can go for some pretty good bucks on their own it is not unusual to see them sold separately.   

Edited by zombywoof

Yes the guard looks a bit big. Here's mine from the year before. Also slightly otherly as the rosette 'says' Southern Jumbo. 

VKPms2N.jpg

A black neck block stamp goes S 597  6  and then 2 blurred signs. 

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes the guard looks a bit big. Here's mine from the year before. Also slightly otherly as the rosette 'says' Southern Jumbo. 

VKPms2N.jpg

A black neck block stamp goes S 597  6  and then 2 blurred signs. 

That's about the time they starting switching to the SJ-style rosette, which became standard on the J-45 sometime in the early/mid 60s. Yours may be one of the earliest versions of that. Looks like you have also converted the saddle and re-intonated.

Original chipboard case, too.

Nice!

25 minutes ago, jibberish said:

The pickguard on the guitar in question looks like different material than was originally used. It looks like something cut from an All Parts blank.

Anyone else notice this?

Maybe. It is similar to some original material, but appears slightly oversized to me. There were actually at least two batwing sizes, used on different models. This one may be the larger of those sizes, but I would still guess it might be a replacement.

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

That's about the time they starting switching to the SJ-style rosette, which became standard on the J-45 sometime in the early/mid 60s. Yours may be one of the earliest versions of that. Looks like you have also converted the saddle and re-intonated.

Original chipboard case, too.

Nice!

Yes, the double rosette didn't start until 1963 and I believe my 59er is one of the Kalamazoo irregularities. Seldom happened but here are a couple of others - both 1958

GPcoSEn.jpg

AE1aj64.jpg

The bridge on mine features a custom made rosewood insert with an ordinary bone saddle.