Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Repair & Restoration Shop

DanvillRob

Not sure if any of you have ever had Gibson make any repairs to your instruments.

Leslie's 2010 Hummingbird 12-String got the headstock broken off in the big Napa earthquake.

She had Gibson repair it, (NOT a neck replacement).

When I was thinking of buying it...I could not find the repair..... it's there...but you have to REALLY look for it.

They did a wonderful job.

This guitar is the best playing 12-String I've ever had in my hands.....I've made over  100 recordings with it....and I'm sure Leslie would love to have it back!

• Like 1

That was a nice video. It's good to see the Gibson repair shop seems to have the right attitude toward repairs today.

Some of us had  less-than-perfect interactions with the Gibson repair ship in Kalamazoo many decades ago, when their philosophy seemed to be that every guitar that came in for any repairs was going to be sent out the door looking like a brand-new current version of that model, rather than an older guitar.

But they did nice work, even when it wasn't exactly what you asked for.

I wonder how their prices are compared to a really good independent luthier or repair shop?

I've got a guy I trust, so I know the person who will be doing the work. I can sit down and talk to him, and we can agree on both the scope and details of the job. I admit to being a bit of a control freak on things like this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, j45nick said:

That was a nice video. It's good to see the Gibson repair shop seems to have the right attitude toward repairs today.

Some of us had  less-than-perfect interactions with the Gibson repair ship in Kalamazoo many decades ago, when their philosophy seemed to be that every guitar that came in for any repairs was going to be sent out the door looking like a brand-new current version of that model, rather than an older guitar.

But they did nice work, even when it wasn't exactly what you asked for.

I wonder how their prices are compared to a really good independent luthier or repair shop?

I've got a guy I trust, so I know the person who will be doing the work. I can sit down and talk to him, and we can agree on both the scope and details of the job. I admit to being a bit of a control freak on things like this.

Nick, I have a good luthier I really trust...but for the 'finished work' not sure you can beat the Gibson shop.

My old Jubilee was TRASHED..... I gave it to him to reinforce the top so it'd be playable again...and he did, but he certainly didn't make it look new.

The 'Bird 12-String literally looks new.

4 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

The 'Bird 12-String literally looks new.

The 'Bird was only a decade old, and had every right to want to look new. I bet they did a really nice job on that one. A good "factory repair" can be the best solution in some cases, and yours was probably one of them.

Just now, j45nick said:

The 'Bird was only a decade old, and had every right to want to look new. I bet they did a really nice job on that one. A good "factory repair" can be the best solution in some cases, and yours was probably one of them.

Yes... Leslie kept this guitar in "New" condition, but hanging on the wall, (or in a stand)....so the earthquake knocked it over...and of course, we all know how easy the headstocks can be bro

ken.   So she sent it back to Gibson.   She told me this guitar is the ONLY Right-Hand Hummingbird 12-String made in 2010.....and it's well worth saving.

May be an image of guitar and indoor

May be an image of guitar and indoor

17 hours ago, j45nick said:

I made an inquiry recently for my SJ-200 Standard. In the initial response, after addressing my questions, he rattled off a few option services for after the repair was handled. I love it when information is presented early on so that one can have that as food for thought.

The related to your quote part was the deep cleaning as part of a service being offered that included clear statement that the cleaning would not remove patina on the finish or the hardware.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I made an inquiry recently for my SJ-200 Standard. In the initial response, after addressing my questions, he rattled off a few option services for after the repair was handled. I love it when information is presented early on so that one can have that as food for thought.

The related to your quote part was the deep cleaning as part of a service being offered that included clear statement that the cleaning would not remove patina on the finish or the hardware.

In fairness, in the period I am talking about--the 1960s and early 1970s--there wasn't that much of a general obsession with vintage guitars the way we look at them today, where the preservation of original finish and components can be a significant part of the value of a guitar.

When my original 1950 J-45 went to the Kalamazoo repair shop in 1968 for repairs after an airline baggage-handling accident, it was a very tired 18-year-old guitar. That's the equivalent of a 2003 model today, and not one you would think of in terms of "vintage." 

I certainly wasn't. It was just a cool, beat-up guitar that said Gibson on the headstock. 

It sounds like the current iteration of the Gibson repair shop understands both the history of their guitars, and the importance of preserving it. That's a huge plus, any way you look at it.