Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Repair & Restoration Shop

merciful-evans

link to Gibson Repair/Restoration

Just got this e-mail from Gibson

Introducing Gibson Repair & Restoration Service

The Gibson Repair & Restoration Shop is the ultimate workshop for guitar repair, restoration, valuation, certification, and warranty work on new and vintage guitars. 

The Gibson Repair & Restoration team offers a highly skilled and trained staff of experienced luthiers and techs in our state-of-the-art climate-controlled environment. We are fully equipped to perform all phases of guitar repair and restoration, from basic setups to full restorations of damaged or neglected vintage instruments.

All brands are welcome! In addition to all Gibson Brands, Gibson Repair & Restoration is fully qualified to work on instruments from any manufacturer. Acoustic and electric guitars, basses, mandolins, banjos, and even Dobros can be repaired and restored.  

Gibson Repair & Restoration is now offering a free virtual consultation via a Zoom video call. It’s easy and simple to use, and you can book your appointment today.

So this includes instruments that are not Gibson. That's a surprise; and a welcome one I think.  I've no idea what the costs are.

Edited by merciful-evans

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

link to Gibson Repair/Restoration

Just got this e-mail from Gibson

Introducing Gibson Repair & Restoration Service

So this includes instruments that are not Gibson. That's a surprise; and a welcome one I think.  I've no idea what the costs are.

I just had my Les Paul serviced by them last week.

They had to drill out and insert dowel pins into two stripped out tuner mounting holes.

After that they performed a Pro-Setup with new strings.

Came back in great shape!

12 minutes ago, Realmongo said:

I just had my Les Paul serviced by them last week.

They had to drill out and insert dowel pins into two stripped out tuner mounting holes.

After that they performed a Pro-Setup with new strings.

Came back in great shape!

Glad to hear it. Its a useful option to have available if you dont have a trusted luthier on hand. 

I am in the uk, and am not sure this extends to non-USA players. The thing is they send out all the gen about Gibson dealers etc. that are not available over here. So likely this service isn't either. 

They would probably work on  your guitar, but you would have to deal with international shipping both ways which  might not be worth the cost or hassle.

Not sure why Gibson is saying that they are "introducing" this service, like it is something new.  They have been doing this for years (the manager in the video says he's been there 23 years or something).  There is a thread over on the acoustic side and everyone there who has used them was very pleased with the result.

Edited by Twang Gang

14 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

They would probably work on  your guitar, but you would have to deal with international shipping both ways which  might not be worth the cost or hassle.

Not sure why Gibson is saying that they are "introducing" this service, like it is something new.  They have been doing this for years (the manager in the video says he's been there 23 years or something).  There is a thread over on the acoustic side and everyone there who has used them was very pleased with the result.

Have they also always repaired other brand instruments? 

7 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

So, did you send it to Nashville?  Or are they using local "authorized" shops?  How were the prices?

Yes it went to the Gibson R&R Shop in Nashville.

It had 2 stripped out tuner holes in the head that were drilled out, plugged, and had proper sized holes drilled.

Then it had a pro setup with new strings.

I think it was about $320 for the repair that covered return shipping and about another $120 for the setup.  

4 hours ago, Realmongo said:

Yes it went to the Gibson R&R Shop in Nashville.

It had 2 stripped out tuner holes in the head that were drilled out, plugged, and had proper sized holes drilled.

Then it had a pro setup with new strings.

I think it was about $320 for the repair that covered return shipping and about another $120 for the setup.  

Thank you for the info!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I found the first Gibson I ever owned and after 57 years I was reunited with a guitar that was partially assembled.  All the parts were present and the guitar had been the victim of some customizing.

I spent an hour on a virtual meeting with the folks from Gibson Restoration creating a work scope.  Bottom line is I wanted everything, functionally, as brand new.  I wanted the body left as is.  I thought it would look strange to have a 1965 guitar that looked new.

Before I sent the guitar I got a beautiful 335 in the mail (I have 6 Gibsons and really didn't need it, but it was nice) they handled everything.  I never called or checked, not wanting to push them.  I finally got the e-mail that the guitar was done and the only thing they could not come up with original parts for were the worm style tuners.  The indicated they could use some "period" Kluson tuners but there would be holes in th head stock.  I jumped on eBay and . . talk about pure blind luck . . . bought a set in great condition for $26.

The guitar, in its new custom brown case arrived this week and it is nothing short of fabulous.  Strings are still stretching and things are settling down but the guitar is amazing.

I am amazed at the work that was done, the more than fair price and the attention to detail.

Thanks to the Gibson Restoration Team for the wonderful workmanship.

• Thanks 1