Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage guitar

Jim cobb

The serial number, with no made in USA stamp, says 1965.

There is no rosette inlay around the soundhole, which raises flags. Can't tell what the missing pickguard might have been, since the shading on the top isn't what you would expect from a Gibson pickguard of any typical shape.

The fretboard inlays are what you would expect on a Hummingbird or SJ/CW.

The top may have been re-finished.

The bridge and saddle are a bit odd.

I'm reserving judgment on what the guitar might be pending better pictures. The angle of the photo is not adequate for evaluating body shape. You need a straight-on photo, not one from an oblique  angle, of the entire guitar, both front and back, for any meaningful input on this one.

Value is indeterminate, but it isn't going to pay your kid's way through college, in any case.

Welcome to the forum.

Bridge and saddle odd, Nick? Strings and/or saddle are reversed, as in either it should be lefty or a right-handed player doesn't know which strings go where. 

You're right about photos, too, but not only isn't there a ring, but the sound hole looks small. Is it a cob job Frankenstein?

I wouldn't exactly assume yard sale, Jim. With correct bridge and setup, it could bring a couple thousand bucks and be a good player, for a repair investment of a few hundred. The sanding took a big hit out of the value if it is an intact true SJ. Take it to a reputable music shop to have an assessment.

Edited by jedzep

6 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

A '65 would have an ADJ saddle bridge.  So unless there is an insert I am not seeing the bridge is not original.  The top or at least the area around the soundhole also may have been sanded down to the point there is no evidence of the rosette left.   

I would buy it at the right price (maybe $300) as a project. As a '65, it may or may not have the narrow nut.

I like messing with Frankenguitars. You can do what you want with a clear conscience.

Just for identification purposes as to what this guitar started life as, a question for you who know more about mid-1960s Gibsons than I.  Did the HB and SJ differ when it came to the multi-ply top and back binding?   Granted though with this guitar it may be immaterial due to the things which have been done to it.  

But I would echo the advice of others in that the guitar should be checked out by a luthier to make sure it is in stable condition and to get an idea of what is left of the original instrument such as was it a burst or a natural top.   Maybe have a proper right handed bridge installed.  But a guitar which is playable guitar right out of the box no matter how much of the original is still there  will be worth more than one which has to immediately be thrown on a workbench to be put right   

Edited by zombywoof