Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between les paul swamp ash 2000+ models and the post 2010 era.

thegreattailz, 

Could you clarify which models you are referring to?

The regular Les Paul Studio (Model LPST) which might be issued in mahogany or Swamp Ash,  from 2003 to present?

Or the Les Paul Studio Voodoo, made in 2003 and 2004?

Maybe the straight up Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash (LPSA) is what you are  describing, available in Natural Satin finish, made between 2003-2011.

They have have certain similarities, and yet some distinct differences too. 

🙂

Yeah, I think the main thing to acknowledge here is that Swamp Ash is rarely used by Gibson and have only been on limited run models...  Usually LPs are Mahogany back and mahogany or maple neck and a maple cap. Anything else is not usual, even Mahogany tops.

Edited by Rabs

11 hours ago, Rabs said:

Anything else is not usual, even Mahogany tops.

Bring 'em back I say.   [thumbup]

lpfeb13small.jpg

Apologies - nothing to do with OP.   Blatant thread hijack.

Edited by jdgm

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

thegreattailz, 

Could you clarify which models you are referring to?

The regular Les Paul Studio (Model LPST) which might be issued in mahogany or Swamp Ash,  from 2003 to present?

Or the Les Paul Studio Voodoo, made in 2003 and 2004?

Maybe the straight up Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash (LPSA) is what you are  describing, available in Natural Satin finish, made between 2003-2011.

They have have certain similarities, and yet some distinct differences too. 

🙂

Well, the model Im looking at has dot inlays and is a 2008 and has a plate on the truss rod cover that says studio. The other is a 2016 again with dot inlays but the plate doesnt say studio. The 2008 model seems more expensive at around $1500. The other model is being sold for about $950. Its def swamp ash because theres no paint.

The reality is that the market is the market. 

There is no rhyme or reason as to why this guitar sells for a grand, and this one goes for much more. 
And that other one is ultimately sold for a bit less.

All the guitars that I described earlier are perfectly fine American-made Gibsons. 

I myself would fancy owning the Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash (LPSA), in Natural Satin finish, made between 2003-2011.
The others hold very little appeal to me. 

But that's just me. 

😬

• Like 1

Whats the deal with LPSA studio, and not studio? Can someone explain studio, and does it actually increase the price of the guitar? Someone told me that the price of a LP increases as the age gets older. Which I assume is fine if youre talking about a 59. But would a LPSA from 2006 really be that much more expensive ($500) over a similar model from 2016?

• Like 1

The Les Paul Studio is pretty much a Les Paul Standard, only without the fancy edge-binding and blingy-trim. 

It's a lesser-priced Gibson Les Paul. 
It's called the Studio because somebody, years ago, assumed that live stage performers would want all the gorgeous visual bling, and that a studio musician just needed a guitar that worked. 

To your question about a 2006 Studio versus a 2016 Studio, the answer is no. 
One isn't necessarily more valuable than the other. 

😉

23 hours ago, thegreattailz said:

Whats the deal with LPSA studio, and not studio? Can someone explain studio, and does it actually increase the price of the guitar? Someone told me that the price of a LP increases as the age gets older. Which I assume is fine if youre talking about a 59. But would a LPSA from 2006 really be that much more expensive ($500) over a similar model from 2016?

Some do go up in value.. Most dont  BUT they do hold their price better than almost any other make or model....

Studios are great guitars if you dont mind the lack of bling but they are all made in the same place by the same people using mostly the same wood and components as the Standards (apart from flamed maple tops but there have been a few Studios with that in the past).

Thanks a lot for the info. Are the pickups the same in the LPSA as a LP standard? I heard they possibly could have switched out the wood for the necks. Some had a maple neck and others had a mahogany neck. Not really sure if theres a sound difference between the two when we're talking about necks. 

23 hours ago, thegreattailz said:

Thanks a lot for the info. Are the pickups the same in the LPSA as a LP standard? I heard they possibly could have switched out the wood for the necks. Some had a maple neck and others had a mahogany neck. Not really sure if theres a sound difference between the two when we're talking about necks. 

Pickups vary between models and years.. Usually on Studios you find the 490r and the 498t..  But yes they are all made in the same place, all USA electronics...

Necks.. Yes they do sometimes use Maple, usually on the lower end guitars but for many years they all had Mahogany.... I would say necks do make a difference.  Maple like the maple caps are meant to give the sound a brighter snap than if it were all mahogany.  Its all debatable though...  And is why we have tone and amp controls and pedals and stuff... And when you add distortion it all makes even less difference.

Edited by Rabs