Gibson Brands Forums

61' Neck Joint

bradsure

I recently purchased a CS SG Reissue. The serial# seach of Gibson's CS site states it a 'Reissue'. I assumed it to be a 61'. Some others have suggested it's a 62'. What does the neck joint suggest? Did the Custom Shop make a 61' reissue? or a 62? or was their 'Reissue' just s combination of a bunch of years and they just called it a 'Reissue'?

sccs61neck.jpg

CS neck

IMG_0949.jpg

61' RI neck

I've got the info of what you are talking about, I believe. I notice it says if it ends in 1, it's a SG Special or SG Custom and if it ends in 2, it's a Standard. It doesn't say it's a 61' Custom and Special or a 62' Standard. I think people might assume since the serial #s ending in 3,4,5 and 8 are for a 63,64,65 and 68, that the 2 is for 62' SG. Gibson says only that it is a SG Standard reissue. I haven't found anyway that says if it ends in a 2 then it is a 62' Standard RI. It's just that I see these listed as 61's and 62's on ads. So it looks like CS only made a 62' SG Standard RI?

Gibson Custom

1952-1960 Les Paul, Explorer, Flying V, and Futura reissues (since late 1992):

M YRRR or MYRRRR

M is the model year being reissued

Y is the production year

RRR® indicates the guitar's place production for that year. NOTE: This number includes all models for a particular reissue year - so, for example, a 1958 Reissue serial number may include '58 Reissue LP Standard and '58 Explorer production.

Example: 7 5123 is the 123rd 1957 reissue model produced in 2005.

1961-1969 Firebird, Les Paul, and SG reissues (since 1997):

YYRRRM

Y is the production year

RRR® indicates the guitar's place in production for that year.

M is the model being reissued

Reissue model codes:

1= SG Custom and Special

2= SG Standard

3= 1963 Firebird 1

4= 1964 Firebird III

5= 1965 Firebird V & VII

8= 1968 Les Paul Custom

'61 RI - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-61-Reissue.aspx

'62 RI - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Standard-Reissue-with-Maestro-VOS.aspx

The '62RI is the Custom Shop SG Standard historic reissue, with or without a Maestro.

The neck joint on my '62RI is the same as in the first pic. It's actually the same as the '61RI but with some added protection.

Since I'm a nice guy...

IMG_0806.jpg

The Custom Shop "62" (unrelated to the '86-'91 "SG-62" USA model) was simply a Grover-equipped limited-run variant of the Historic SG Standard, which hasn't ever really technically carried a "number" of what year it's supposed to be; '62 just happens to be considered the first "true SG"/non-Les Paul year by most, but that's actually more truthful for '63 in legality, and the "Les Paul" headstocks, truss rod covers, etc. can be found on SG's through early '64 even. And of course we all know that neither the Historic NOR the USA "reissues" are REALLY such other than as vague hodgepodges of years' models in questionable faux-aged finishes and often with pre-funky hardware.

The neck joint isn't really a scientific way to determine what year reissue it would represent, since true 60's models could vary from guitar-to-guitar due to their HAND-MADE nature, unlike the machine-cut stuff of today. Back then, you may see any of 5 or 6 types of neck joints on SG's from '61 through '71. '61 through '65 SG's can be found with either the "box" neck joint, a "stepped" neck joint or the "smooth cap" neck joint like the Historic/CS stuff. It was a crapshoot, but there was no real significance in performance or anything. I even had a late-'65/early-'66 Standard once (which I miss) that had a transitional long-heel/smooth-body-joint but had the small pickguard of the regular '65 SG's. So anything, I repeat, ANYTHING is possible. Except the fact that the odds of finding a factory-stock stoptail on a real 60's SG are so nearly-improbable I still can't figure out why they bust out a glut of stoptail "reissues" and no vibrola-equipped non-Historic ones...lol

H-Bomb

Archived