Gibson Brands Forums

Best cleaner - removed pickguard on aged matte finish

meanstreak

yes, Naptha..which is common lighter fluid ...used to fill cigarette lighters and light charcoal grills. .. works perfect..with zero harm to any finish including nitro or poly. I used it on my own Masterbilt AJ-45 when I replaced it with a new one. Pour some on a rag...rub it back and forth..it will get gummy, then come off entirely leaving no residue.

Edited by ALD323
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ALD323 said:

yes, Naptha..which is common lighter fluid ...used to fill cigarette lighters and light charcoal grills. .. works perfect..with zero harm to any finish including nitro or poly. I used it on my own Masterbilt AJ-45 when I replaced it with a new one. Pour some on a rag...rub it back and forth..it will get gummy, then come off entirely leaving no residue.

awesome thanks!  I love the Masterbilts, have 5 of them!  This AJ-500 is a 2nd I got for dirt cheap but man it’s terrific.  Going to put a J-45 style guard on it, been meaning to do so for years and finally getting around to it.

7 hours ago, ALD323 said:

Forgot to ask, any particular brand that you’d recommend?  Home Depot nearby has this - 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-qt-Varnish-Maker-and-Painter-s-Naphtha-QVM46/100122813