Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer - help identifying by serial number

Jagermeistro

I have a black Gibson Explorer and I’m looking to find out more information about this particular guitar.  I know it was purchased new in 1983 - 1986 time frame.  Unfortunately I can’t pin it down closer than that.  This one has a few differences I am not familiar with.  First, the fretboard seems to be rosewood?  I thought USA Explorers had ebony fretboards.  Also, the serial number appears inked on rather than stamped into the wood.  The serial number is also a different format from what I’ve seen before.  I haven’t seen any others like this.  Also, it appears “MADE IN USA” is stamped into the wood, but it is very difficult to see, especially in photos.  Were there different models of the USA Explorer back then?

Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

71A083CA-20BB-4F03-9E18-438D1C885B70.jpeg

70628F22-5D35-4F29-8FA4-C495340B2201.jpeg

7FA3587B-8B35-44A5-8341-264F518EAA8F.jpeg

BA59FCF3-1AC9-494F-B3BA-F5EB3AFC86D9.jpeg

A little surprised not even one forum member knew anything about this guitar.  The serial number 1 0100 doesn't conform to Gibson's normal scheme.  Also it is stamped in ink versus stamped into the wood.  To be specific about the information I am looking for - 

year?

limited run??  I am guessing it is since it's serial number is different.  How many were made?  What is different about it?

What were the original pickups?

I know for a fact the guitar was brand new when purchased from a reputable Gibson dealer.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Based on the Serial number only, it seems that you have a 1983  Heritage Explorer. Only 100 were made. The inked serial number indicates that it is 100 of 100, and was the last 1983 Heritage Explorer made. The '83 Heritages had unique serial numbers that started with a 1, then a space, then a zero followed by three numbers starting at 001 to 100. They also had the "tulip" tuning knobs. The Heritage Explorers were all Korina wood.  Please note that '83 Heritage Explorers did NOT come with gold hardware and did NOT come with "ivory" tulip tuning knobs, (Silver/Nickel metal tulip knobs that matched the Silver/Nickel hardware adorned all Heritages) Based on your pictures, something seems fishy. The stamped Made in the USA marking, combined with the inked serial number, raises a red flag as well, if my memory is correct. Research "83 Heritage Explorers, as the specific build details are available.  (The inlaid pearl Gibson logo on your headstock may be different than the '83 Heritage Explorers as well)