Gibson Brands Forums

1967 Gibson ES335 "Freddy"

https://www.sunburstmusic.com.au/gibson-es-335td-vs-maestro-1967.html

Hi everyone, how are we all doing?

Got an interesting one here, hoping someone can shed some light?

Recently, I purchased an all original 1967 Gibson ES335 (in Australia....see the link above). Checks all the boxes for originality....

Interestingly, the Gibson orange paper badge inside the guitar body/ cavity, does not have the model designation written, nor the serial number. The serial number on the headstock dates it to a 1967 model.

What's even more interesting, is that the original Gibson orange label, has the name "Freddy" written on it. Looks to be legit, does not appear as if someone has modified the label.

Any ideas? The dealer seems to think that "Freddy" was the name of a Gibson employee? Or....long shot, was the guitar made for a famous Texas bluesman, with the first name, "Freddy?"

Either way, it's an amazing sounding guitar...the best I've ever had!

Thanks, in advance....

gibson-gibson-es-335td-1967.jpg

Edited by ediZ
adding photo of topic...

Great ES-335!! It looks to me that it might be a 1966 with the reflector knobs & chrome hardware. I have a cherry 1967, by then they were using witch hat knobs. It’s sort of a mystery about the orange label. It looks like there might have been a number “2” under the “F” in Freddy. My ‘67 didn’t have an orange label at all. It was custom ordered with a Bigsby in place of the lyre vibrato like yours or a trapeze tailpiece. Blank, original orange labels were still readily available at the time I bought it 25 years ago, so I added one. If only a fifty + year old guitar could talk & tell it’s story!

Edited by Grog

Close but........

https://www.google.com/search?q=freddie+king+gibson&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_sIjB8erxAhVGUMAKHaJ7DbgQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=1075

Freddie King spelled his name with an i-e.  Looks like he did have a guitar with that trem/tailpiece but it had a Varitone.

Not long after he died I remember seeing his guitar (a sunburst 335 or 345) advertised for sale in a music magazine with one of his stage suits included in the sale.  I could have afforded the guitar if I'd sold  the ones I had back then, but the thought of having one of his suits hanging in the wardrobe or in a box.....no.  A bit ghoulish I thought.

However what you have there looks like a beautiful guitar[thumbup]