Gibson Brands Forums

mould stench into firebird case what can be done to get rid of it

hello everybody  from Milan Italy  my problem   is as follows  , the  original case  of my firebird   has taken  this stinky odour of  mould   and  it seems to be there  to stay , at the moment i have taken the guitar in anothr place to get rid  of that stench herself  but i fear that into the case it won't be easy to get rid of that   any tips ? 

by the way  have u got any idea  where i can buy   the gibson soft  case  for the firebird , i already have  a  les paul special  with that kinda of bag  which is smelling very good  and the guitar  smell good  accordingly   

thanks to everybody for your help 

DSF10VSCH1_ACCESSORIES_CASE.jpg

It is because the mould spores keep reproducing.  If you have an area which gets strong sunlight, leave the case open in that area for a few days (bring it in at night of course).  That will dry any dampness out and the UV will kill the mould spores quite quickly if the sunlight is strong enough.  You need to kill the spores not just in the lining fabric but also the wood of the case underneath the fabric, otherwise if the case gets damp at all again, the mould may return.  Many hours of strong direct sunlight on the opened case.  But not with the guitar itself as the UV will fade the paint/finish!

Otherwise have a google! "Remove mould smell" should be enough to search with.    If not sunlight you need something like white vinegar to kill off the spores.

Best wishes.

Edited by jdgm

16 hours ago, marco mancini said:

all right then mate ,but how can you spread   a product like that  over the carpet case ? 

I usually spray it down good then take a micro cloth and rub in them let it dry out a few days.