Gibson Brands Forums

Sustainable question

Walnut fan

Hey all, I’m curious about the sustainable line of acoustics. I see some of them have a richlite fingerboard and wood inlays but I think I just saw one with a walnut fingerboard and no inlays. Can anyone give me the skinny on the history and the different designs? What came first, etc? Thanks!

The Sustainable line has not been around long enough to have a history.   But what you get seems to depend on the model.  So a J45 will have a richlite fingerboard while a Hummingbird will have a walnut board.   I would not be surprised if down the road Gibson went in both directions on any given model.   I gather one of the things which separates the sustainable line from others with similar features is the beeswax finish.

Thanks! I found this one online so I guess there's some different specs even among the same model 

J-45 Sustainable Acoustic-Electric Guitar Specifications:

Body

• Body type: Dreadnought, Non-Cutaway
  • Top wood: Sitka spruce
  • Back & sides: Walnut
  • Bracing pattern: X
  • Body finish: Hand-rubbed wax

Neck

• Neck shape: Slim Taper
  • Nut width: 1.725"
  • Fingerboard: Walnut
  • Neck wood: Mahogany
  • Scale length: 24.75"
  • Number of frets: 20
  • Bridge: Walnut
  • Saddle & nut: TUSQ

Electronics

• Pickup/preamp: L.R. Baggs VTC

Other

• Tuning machines: Grover Rotomatic
  • Orientation: Right Handed
  • Number of strings: 6-string
  • Case: Gibson hardshell case

WF,

Actually … they were only offered for 2 years it seems . The first year was the year they had richlite and inlays and the second year the model was revised and it made more sense to put walnut and no inlays on something deemed sustainable.

Dave Davies of The Kinks picked one up (L 00 body )from the London Showroom a while back .His is a first year model as shown by the inlays :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQlh0QwMhEm/?utm_medium=copy_link

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

I've had two walnut guitars. Both great guitars but I decided I did not like it as a tonewood.

I had one of these Jackson Browne guitars.

Distinguished by a red spruce top and sustainably—farmed English walnut back and sides

30785583-8626-4f24-a1cd-7ca7bf7149b6.jpg

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Jackson-Browne-Signature.aspx

I also had an AJ Gold with the walnut sides and back.

aj-1.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave F said:

I've had two walnut guitars. Both great guitars but I decided I did not like it as a tonewood.

I had one of these Jackson Browne guitars.

Distinguished by a red spruce top and sustainably—farmed English walnut back and sides

30785583-8626-4f24-a1cd-7ca7bf7149b6.jpg

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Jackson-Browne-Signature.aspx

I also had an AJ Gold with the walnut sides and back.

aj-1.jpg

What a Beautiful Guitar.

Edited by kelly campbell
Spelling