Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Studio?

Lord Summerisle

Been the best part of a decade since I last posted here. But I have GAS for a Les Paul. I was going to buy an Epi Standard on the off-chance, online, but then I saw the Smokehouse burst finish on the Studios and thought "Yeah, I like that. Heck, I really like that."

Can any owners of such instruments tell me about their experiences with them, good or bad?

Thank you in advance for any input/advice. This will be a Sweetwater purchase owing to my location. Whatever shows up at my door, shows up at my door.

EDIT: I see Sweetwater has an "exclusive" on this finish in a Standard. FWIW, I prefer the straight grain of the Studio to the book-matching of the Standard, and I can easily live without neck-binding, and $100 less is appealing. For blues (say Peter Green type stuff), what's the deal with "Alnico Classic" v "Probucker." I can mod it if needs be, but if stock will get me closer at the outlay for only a Benjamin more...

Edited by Lord Summerisle