Gibson Brands Forums

2021 J45 Volume and Tone wheel rattle

popeye100

40 minutes ago, popeye100 said:

I have a 2021 J45 and it sounds fantastic except the volume and tone wheels rattle when I strum a little harder or play certain notes. Is there a fix for this? Maybe tighten the wheels? 

I could put tape over them but it just looks tacky. 

do you have an anthem with that large tan preamp inside the sound hole?

yea.. I looks similar to the Anthem.  I had the same problem with my Anthem equipped J200 It drove me insane.  Taping them up may help. 

You could contact LR Baggs, they have pretty good customer service.  They sent me a new preamp.  but I never installed it.

I replaced the pickup with a Fishman Infinity.  I just thought that in time, the replacement would start making the same noise and I wasn't going there.

Fishman didn't sound quite as nice, but that rattle was finally exorcised.

It's only secured with double sided tape and has a plastic socket kind of wiring setup, so it should be pretty easy to remove.

14 minutes ago, kidblast said:

yea.. I looks similar to the Anthem.  I had the same problem with my Anthem equipped J200 It drove me insane.  Taping them up may help. 

You could contact LR Baggs, they have pretty good customer service.  They sent me a new preamp.  but I never installed it.

I replaced the pickup with a Fishman Infinity.  I just thought that in time, the replacement would start making the same noise and I wasn't going there.

Fishman didn't sound quite as nice, but that rattle was finally exorcised.

It's only secured with double sided tape and has a plastic socket kind of wiring setup, so it should be pretty easy to remove.

I've seen somebody tighten a screw on the Lyric that tightened the plastic casing down which in turn tightened the wheels. But I wasn't sure if it would be similar to the VTC. This is my first Gibson and first LR Baggs pickup. I'm also skeptical to remove it to see. 

Edited by popeye100
Spelling

1 hour ago, popeye100 said:

I've seen somebody tighten a screw on the Lyric that tightened the plastic casing down which in turn tightened the wheels. But I wasn't sure if it would be similar to the VTC. This is my first Gibson and first LR Baggs pickup. I'm also skeptical to remove it to see. 

I understand,  but it's pretty harmless to remove

you'll just need a new piece of the tape to put it back.

and I know how annoying that rattling sound can get.  

see if you can get some thing to put on them to keep em from rattling I guess.

17 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I understand,  but it's pretty harmless to remove

you'll just need a new piece of the tape to put it back.

and I know how annoying that rattling sound can get.  

see if you can get some thing to put on them to keep em from rattling I guess.

What kind of tape should I get if I want to remove it to see?

13 hours ago, popeye100 said:

Yeah that's the same video I saw. It didn't show how to remove it or reinstall it though. 

it's not screwed or bolted in there.  you just have to pry it loose with your finger tips.  you'll want to replace the tape on the module, after getting as much off as you can (Goo B Gone probably works there or Naptha -- which is ronsons lighter fluid)

Edited by kidblast

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

it's not screwed or bolted in there.  you just have to pry it loose with your finger tips.  you'll want to replace the tape on the module, after getting as much off as you can (Goo B Gone probably works there or Naptha -- which is ronsons lighter fluid)

Oh alright. I think I'll give it a look.  What kind of tape should I get to put it back on?

Oh alright. I think I'll give it a look.  What kind of tape should I get to put it back on?

What comes with something like the Fishman Infinity is just a 3M double sided tape.

can probably get that at a place like staples, ?? or certainly amazon

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

What comes with something like the Fishman Infinity is just a 3M double sided tape.

can probably get that at a place like staples, ?? or certainly amazon

Awesome. Thank you guys for the help. I'm going to give this a shot and I'll update if it fixes it. This would be a much cheaper option than to replace the system. 

11 hours ago, popeye100 said:

UPDATE: I took out the thumb wheel and reglued for a better contact. No more rattle.

I'm not sure I follow what you did based on your post, but I'm glad it's solved.  Hopefully for good...  I liked the way the Anthem pickup sounded in my J200,  but that rattled drove me nuts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, popeye100 said:

UPDATE: I took out the thumb wheel and reglued for a better contact. No more rattle.

In the event my wheel starts to rattle on my J45C,   how did you take out the thumb wheel?   Would that  not disable the volume adjustment it is there for?   I don't hardly ever use it, but would be curious.   Thanks. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

In the event my wheel starts to rattle on my J45C,   how did you take out the thumb wheel?   Would that  not disable the volume adjustment it is there for?   I don't hardly ever use it, but would be curious.   Thanks. 

Sorry for the not so satisfactory update lol. So I didn't actually take out the wheel itself. I misspoke. I couldn't find a screw to tighten the casing down. But I could press on it and noticed the gap would close and the wheels wouldn't rattle back and forth. So I used a little bit of glue and glued the casing "shut" basically. 

In hindsight, it might not have been the best way or correct way to go about it, but I liked the pickup and now I can play my j45 without the rattle from it. 

Edited by popeye100

Sorry for the not so satisfactory update lol. So I didn't actually take out the wheel itself. I misspoke. I couldn't find a screw to tighten the casing down. But I could press on it and noticed the gap would close and the wheels wouldn't rattle back and forth. So I used a little bit of glue and glued the casing "shut" basically. 

In hindsight, it might not have been the best way or correct way to go about it, but I liked the pickup and now I can play my j45 without the rattle from it. 

what ever works!

if you have to, contact LR BAGGS,, they seemed responsive when I created a support request with them a few years ago.

• 2 years later...