Gibson Brands Forums

What is the Gibson standard for neck relief?

project

I've been learning how to setup my own guitars and I was wondering if Gibson has a specific neck relief measurement for an average guitar setup. You know, like a starting point until I find what is really right for me. For example: Fender recommended neck relief for a Strat with 9.5in to 12in radius is .010in (0.25mm) at the 8th fret. Any thoughts?

I've usually set up my guitars with a relief of between .005 and .010. This is measured at the 7th fret by taking an 18" metal straight edge and placing it over all frets,and then slipping a feeler gauge between the 7th fret and the metal straight edge. I don't recommend a full quarter turn (as does Gibson) of truss rod loosening from perfectly fat -- this can lead to a lot of variations in relief. I think my way has a bit more precision.

A very loose way of checking your relief is to hold (or have someone hold) down the string at the first and last frets and then try to slip a *new* playing card under the string at the 7th fret. That's about .010" thick, so if it lifts the string you might want to add a bit of relief, and if it doesn't touch the string at all, you may want to tighten the truss rod.

I highly recommend you pick up a book called "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Erlewine. Runs about $14 at Amazon. It'll teach you pretty much everything you need to know about setting up your guitar.

Erlewine's books are awesome. That one in particular. It really de-mystifies the process and has some great tips on maintenance and adjustments, along with specs that he measured off the guitars of a selection of pros like BB and Stevie Ray. Did you know that it was Dan Erlewine who sold (traded) Mike Bloomfield his 'burst?

By the way, pros like Erlewine actually do it by feel, not by measurement. Somewhere he said he lowers the bridge unti the strings start to buzz then he tweaks the trussrod until the buzzing stops (that's backwards from the conventional setup steps, but if things are pretty close to begin with, it works well for fine tweaking).

Some players will hold the low E at the first fret. With the right thumb, hold the same string down at the body-joint fret and with the right index finger tap that string to see how far it moves. It gives you a good idea of the gap in the middle as if the string were the straightedge. I've never been able to tell anything by "sighting down the neck." The optical illusion of thick and thin strings always makes me think the neck is twisted.

Archived