Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying a Gibson acoustic

I was given this guitar after my grandfather passed away.  He always told me it was a 1927 but from what I've researched it looks to be later than that.  It looks like an LG-2 banner model but any info would be appreciated!  I couldn't find any serial numbers on the guitar anywhere so I've just been trying to match it up to models I've found online.  If I need to post any more pics just let me know.

Thanks!

WuA2Yj8.jpg

kevwNu7.jpg

qUYPClo.jpg

There are folks here who know more than I do about flat top Gibsons, but I think that the info you've gathered from your research is correct... a "banner logo" (only used circa 1943-1945) LG2 model.  Have you tried shining a light inside the body and/or getting a small mirror inside?  I think there ought to be a stamped number up near the neck block area.  Although some of the black lacquer was removed around the headstock, at least it was done somewhat evenly.  Nice looking specimen of a guitar.  Congrats on the inheritance!

Looks like an LG2 to me. The lower bout should measure about 14"

Tuners have been replaced. Looks like it's been totally refinished while maintaining the head stock logo and then over spraying it.

The bridge is a replacement. Should be the straight style as shown on the one below.

I would post it to the Acoustic Lounge to get more feedback from ones more knowledgeable than I am.

I'm used to seeing spruce grain on top. I'm not sure what yours is. It may be mahogany.

There may be an ink marking on the neck block inside showing the FON number, but not always.

Always nice to have a vintage guitar passed on, enjoy it!

42 LG1

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave F said:

Looks like an LG2 to me. The lower bout should measure about 14"

Tuners have been replaced. Looks like it's been totally refinished while maintaining the head stock logo and then over spraying it.

The bridge is a replacement. Should be the straight style as shown on the one below.

I would post it to the Acoustic Lounge to get more feedback from ones more knowledgeable than I am.

I'm used to seeing spruce grain on top. I'm not sure what yours is. It may be mahogany.

agree with all this- looks like a mahogany top which is kind of cool. I would swap out the tuners and maybe the pickguard if it's over the finish, but otherwise grandpa had nice taste!

Thanks for all the info guys!  Yeah, he said at some point he gave it to his uncle for some reason and his uncle removed the finish.  Although, with exception to the headstock the finish on it now looks pretty good.

I was wondering about the bridge as I couldn't find any with that style on it, so I wondered if it was a replacement.  I've looked all down in the body for any kind of markings but I haven't been able to find anything yet (besides where he wrote his name in it).  The next time I restring it I'll try to get a mirror to look further around the neck block area.  If I can find anything I'll be sure to update this post.

Thanks again!

• Like 1