Gibson Brands Forums

Is this hummingbird legit? URGENT

Nikolaj2121

2 minutes ago, Boyd said:

So you can see why guys making 'phony' Gibsons don't use the good stuff.....$100 for tuners!

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2021 at 9:19 AM, zombywoof said:

You are right.  Brain fart on my part.  

Oddly though I have found over the past two years or so I have tended to lose interest in guitars. Maybe it is I cannot recall what it is I liked about them.  A month or so back I was in shop which had a  bunch of old guitars for sale including a Larson Brothers.  There was a time my brain would have immediately started to work out a strategy to get me that guitar.  But this time I just gave it a passing nod acknowledging it was a "nice guitar" as I walked out not giving it a second thought. 

Zombywoof,

Same thing has happened to with respect to my photography. I started shooting in 1977, and have been doing candid street for much of that time, and literally never left the house without my gear.

About five years ago, I was finally talked into switching from manual focus Nikons to auto-focus digital cameras and lenses, and almost immediately lost interest.

Now, despite my best efforts, I just can't seem to re-kindle my interest or drive to shoot. At least my re-newed desire to play my guitar happened at the same time, so I have a new compulsion to drive me.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Zombywoof,

Same thing has happened to with respect to my photography. I started shooting in 1977, and have been doing candid street for much of that time, and literally never left the house without my gear.

About five years ago, I was finally talked into switching from manual focus Nikons to auto-focus digital cameras and lenses, and almost immediately lost interest.

Now, despite my best efforts, I just can't seem to re-kindle my interest or drive to shoot. At least my re-newed desire to play my guitar happened at the same time, so I have a new compulsion to drive me.

RBSinTo

I started off with my Dad's Rolleiflex.  As the 120 film got harder to get I moved to Pentax and then a Nikon.  And yeah, I eventually I moved onto to a Leica digital with which photography became more perfunctory.   What I figured out was what fascinated me about photography was more about working in the dark room than taking the pictures.  I could spend hours in there watching the photos magically appear while trying to figure out how to get the best results.

With guitars the loss of my fascination hit pretty quickly.  There was a time when I loved the hunt along with the coming up with a way to make this or that guitar obtainable.   My wife thinks it is because I had finally reached the point where I could buy pretty much anything I wanted which made it much easier but also less fun.   

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I started off with my Dad's Rolleiflex.  As the 120 film got harder to get I moved to Pentax and then a Nikon.  And yeah, I eventually I moved onto to a Leica digital with which photography became more perfunctory.   What I figured out was what fascinated me about photography was more about working in the dark room than taking the pictures.  I could spend hours in there watching the photos magically appear while trying to figure out how to get the best results.

With guitars the loss of my fascination hit pretty quickly.  There was a time when I loved the hunt along with the coming up with a way to make this or that guitar obtainable.   My wife thinks it is because I had finally reached the point where I could buy pretty much anything I wanted which made it much easier but also less fun.   

Zombywoof,

I'm just the opposite with respect to photography.

I loved my Nikon rangefinders (S3 and SP), and a whole raft of their manual focus cameras (F, F2AS, F3P, FA, FM2, FG,) plus a ton of manual focus lenses.

As for film? Mostly 100 ISO colour slide, with some high speed Ektachrome or Fujichrome for low light.

The darkroom never interested me, and this whole Photoshop business absolutely underwhelms me, which has helped kill my interest.

With slide, doing the candid street I love, there was no time for screwing around, See it. Compose. Focus and shoot. Either you got it, or you didn't.

Most of the time I did. And after more than 40 years of practice, I knew when I did.

Just the way I liked it.

As for the guitars, I never aspired to own the whole set. I've got five, and will be building a sixth, just for fun.

I'll noodle on this or that one in the music store, but don't want or need any more.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo