Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on setup and other issues

Tega.tm

50 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Nothing stupid here, at all.  Please feel free to share what you want.  I mentioned that you can 100% verify with a notched straightedge for the Gibson scale.  This is what luthiers use and will get you much needed information.  Don't trust your eyes if you aren't trained enough to do this...  And I agree with @kidblast no twist that I can tell...  And if the neck joint on a LP separated... you'd know.  You have to hit it pretty hard to make it come out of the neck joint.  I HAVE seen a lot of alpine white finishes crack and check...  Seems to be what you have to look forward to.  No worries though.  I think it looks 'normal' for these guitars as they age, YMMV. 

And to boot, if you had a neck separated, you'd get some serious tuning stability issues.  Not the string getting caught in the nut issue, but just totally goes out on you. 

Maybe you should spend some time watching YT videos on luthiers setting up guitars, doing fret dressings, neck restorations, etc.  Maybe you can find something that helps you learn how to diagnose yourself as I have.  I have bought a few tools from StewMac to help with fixing my guitars - things I learned how to use by watching others do it online. 

I’m ok with it ageing but with all the other issues it has like, flat spot on the neck with a thin coating covering it, a citar sound from high strings and warble from the D string, then deep scrape marks all down the neck binding and an indent from the pick guard on the side round the screw hole, also the tuning and intonation chasing every day and it going out of tune when I play.. I just thought must be an unlucky purchase.. considering it is only an august 2021 build and I’ve bought it from the wall on New Year’s Eve.. it should have been fine for at least a few years..🤷‍♂️😂

36 minutes ago, jdgm said:

That might be caused by a small amount of glue coming out of the joint itself. 

It seems that on a white LP, the slightest flaw in the finish is very visible.

The best way to post pics on this forum is to upload them to an image-hosting site and copy/paste the link they provide into your post.

I'm not sure how you might contact Gibson Europe directly (they want you to go through a dealer) - there used to be an email address but I can't find it now - they have a fbk page....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Company/Gibson-Guitar-Europe-116883215011091/

Let’s see if this works:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3n4wACVUyMYQrKy8 

Hi Tega.tm,

I had this problem with a PRS CE24. It was a less serious neck twist than yours seems to be. I just couldn't set it up as nicely as my other guitars. After some months I returned it to the shop (they seemed to think I was over fussy) but sent it to PRS Europe (which is in the uk) who agreed there was a twist in the neck. They had another neck built in USA which was shipped back and fitted. 

Don't put up with something that's wrong. Keep up the pressure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Hi Tega.tm,

I had this problem with a PRS CE24. It was a less serious neck twist than yours seems to be. I just couldn't set it up as nicely as my other guitars. After some months I returned it to the shop (they seemed to think I was over fussy) but sent it to PRS Europe (which is in the uk) who agreed there was a twist in the neck. They had another neck built in USA which was shipped back and fitted. 

Don't put up with something that's wrong. Keep up the pressure.

I agree.

You bought a guitar, for some considerable cost, and it's not right. 

I would ask for my money back, or a brand new replacement. 

Thanks for commenting, yes this is what I’m trying to get to and hopefully when it’s inspected they will see the issue and replace it with one I can actually play and tune without issues.. I’m just concerned that if the shop doesn’t explain the issue properly then the assessment person won’t look at it properly and say it’s fine.. is that how it works? As I have not had to return under warranty before so I am unsure how they go about the assessment.

52 minutes ago, Tega.tm said:

Thanks for commenting, yes this is what I’m trying to get to and hopefully when it’s inspected they will see the issue and replace it with one I can actually play and tune without issues.. I’m just concerned that if the shop doesn’t explain the issue properly then the assessment person won’t look at it properly and say it’s fine.. is that how it works? As I have not had to return under warranty before so I am unsure how they go about the assessment.

I don't know about the Retailer/Gibson procedure here. but it should be at least a short description of what your issue is. So your input as a customer is essential. It sounds as if you are worried about the retailer not properly passing on what you need them to know.

If its a system that works properly at all, I think you should at the very least be asked to endorse what info they provide to Gibson, and at best for the shop to pass on to Gibson your own written description of the problem. 

Good luck. You deserve a great guitar.