Gibson Brands Forums

Never seen this model.... Need help guys

Aras

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The serial number jives that it is a 2013, but what model, I have no clue. A prototype maybe. The tuners look crooked enough, so it could be real.

All around quality is high. Bridge is superb. It doesn't look and feel like rice guitar

I dont think its real....  That weird bit at the neck heal. I cant remember ever seeing that on any Gibson ever.. And if it were a Gibson it would have Gibson tuners not Kluson, even though that can obviously be changed easy enough.

Do you have a pic of the front of the headstock?

Edited by Rabs

25 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I dont think its real....  That weird bit at the neck heal. I cant remember ever seeing that on any Gibson ever.. And if it were a Gibson it would have Gibson tuners not Kluson, even though that can obviously be changed easy enough.

Do you have a pic of the front of the headstock?

Well, that is what caught my eye - strange heel and Klusons. But it is not cheap guitar as i could see. Parts are very good, very clean cavity with fat graphite shielding

photo52990150769860763911.jpg

8 minutes ago, Aras said:

Well, that is what caught my eye - strange heel and Klusons. But it is not cheap guitar as i could see. Parts are very good, very clean cavity with fat graphite shielding

photo52990150769860763911.jpg

Another thing Gibson dont do.. Shielding ..  

The usual 100% give away is to look under the truss rod cover.. If its an allen key type its 100% not real... Thats a Gibson custom inlay too..   All very odd and nothing like I have ever seen before..  You could always send these pics to Gibson customer service.  If its real they will be able to confirm it. But as it stands it makes no sense to me.. If it was a custom order why would there be Klusons??  I say, not real. The curves of the body look off too (even though that can just be odd angles sometimes).

Edited by Rabs

Just now, Rabs said:

Another thing Gibson dont do.. Shielding ..  

The usual 100% give away is to look under the truss rod cover.. If its an allen key type its 100% not real... Thats a Gibson custom inlay too..   All very odd and nothing like I have ever seen before..  You could always send these pics to Gibson customer service.  If its real they will be able to confirm it.

It has standart Gibson truss rod "peg" let me call it this way. This thing i checked one of the first

Les Pauls come in many variations.......  Some I remember, some I dont BUT I would absolutely have remembered that neck heal carve thing...  I have been on here well over a decade and I would have remembered that..   At least I assume I would  🙂 

2 minutes ago, Aras said:

Oh, well, thanks guys! I will send a mail to Gibson support. But if someone recognize the model - please share that info with us

Did you check the pots too?  They should also be Gibson branded..

Ah now that makes sense!

The original LPJs were budget models - "A US Les Paul at a far east price".

The mods and refinish have been done well - the cutaway section is quite extraordinary, especially considering how weight-relieved LPJ bodies are.

featureTraditionalChambered.jpg

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Ah now that makes sense!

The original LPJs were budget models - "A US Les Paul at a far east price".

The mods and refinish have been done well - the cutaway section is quite extraordinary, especially considering how weight-relieved LPJ bodies are.

featureTraditionalChambered.jpg

Yes, all works made pretty well. One who did it knows his work. He even kept natural wood texture under the paint. After proper setup and with new strings this guitar plays like a charm. Sound... Well, it is a sound of EMG tho. This guitar is not for clean. 

4 hours ago, Aras said:

Well, the answer is - it was Gibson LPJ. Owner made body modifications, refinish and put EMGs. Kluson tunners were stock for LPJ models. So yes, it is hot roddet Gibson

Also the headstock...  Who ever did those MOP inlays did a really good job..  Is that actual binding or is it painted on (cos LPJs didnt have binding or even fake binding).

Just now, Rabs said:

Also the headstock...  Who ever did those MOP inlays did a really good job..  Is that actual binding or is it painted on (cos LPJs didnt have binding or even fake binding).

I don't remember right now, but it seems like it is painted. Headstock was refinished too, cause main paint goes under the black paint. I saw it cause it has 1,5 mm chip on a side, so gray paint is under black. Good work in general, i can say. Better than on many Gibsons i see in our store lol. Not only in painjob, but in details