Gibson Brands Forums

Klusons replace Grovers

CAMELEYE

Right. I'm taking off the Grovers and replacing them with Klusons, old style, white buttons. I've seen Klusons at Stu-Mac and other places, so I know they're around.

I guess what I was asking was if anyone knew of any Klusons that were a better fit than others, since the J-45 head is drilled out for the slightly larger Grover tuner shaft. 

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

going the other way would be tougher.

It isn't too hard, you just need the special bushings that press into the larger holes from the Grovers and some confidence in your ability (I assume we are talking about Rotomatics?). Have done this myself and it wasn't so bad, however I have been working with tools and woods most of my life. Here are the bushings, they are probably available elsewhere too

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/tuner-parts/38-conversion-tuner-bushing-6f79b4d5/

They will be slightly oversize for the existing holes but are designed to be pressed into the hole so the ridges slightly dig into the wood to hold them in place. I did this with a block of wood and a c-clamp but Stew Mac makes a special (expensive) tool for this purpose, it is shown at the bottom of the page I linked to. Some people prefer to ream out the hole so the bushing can be easily inserted. If you do that, be careful not to make the holes too big, it should be a snug fit so the bushing can't move around or fall out. There are also tools for that shown on the same page.

A bigger issue for me was the marks that were made by the big washers on the Grovers which left a very noticeable "bullseye" around the new pegs. I carefully sanded and buffed these out but that might be scary for many people, since you are going to be scratching up the headstock, then polishing out the marks. I used some of these - get more than you think you need, just in case!

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/sanding-and-polishing/sandpaper-and-finishing-papers/micro-mesh-touch-up-stick/

Finally, you will have to drill new screw holes. I suggest you do this with a little hand drill of some kind and not a power drill, you need to be very careful not to go too deep.

Now, I wanted to use the traditional Kluson 3-on-a-plate tuners. If you are happy with individual tuners, then there are drop-in replacements to fit the existing Grover holes and attach with the same sort of threaded shaft/washer system. Personally, I don't like them because you still have the ugly washers - which was one of the main things that I disliked about the Rotomatics.

Edited by Boyd