Gibson Brands Forums

Tiny water-like spots on newer Gibson Les Paul.

Serjape

I had my guitar (2020 Gibson Les Paul Standard) on floor stand.  My roommate mopped floors with Swiffer Jet and the spray from jet got the cleaner on bottom 1/4 of guitar from below the bridge. I had no idea at the time what had happened but now you can see tiny water ring like spots when you look close enough.  Do you have any ideas of how to get those off?  I have tried rubbing them out gently but they aren't buffing out.  I did not want to do ANYTHING as I fear making it worse.

This is bad news. Since the cleaning product that got splotched on the guitar contains strong chemicals, chances are it reacted with the (fairly fragile) nitrocellulose lacquer finish of the guitar, aside from the damage the water might have caused softening the lacquer.

If you can't rub the splotched spots out using moist breath, clean rags with naptha (lighter fluid) and/or Gibson's own various guitar polishes, there is little else you can do besides air-drying the guitar for the water splash damage. But even then, the softened lacquer may never be truly hard again.

Post pictures of the damage if you can. Maybe there's more to recommend here.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

This is why people gotta have that Nitro finish. Its god awful stuff. Ask anyone who works with it. If Naphta (which sounds like some 90's trade agreement, but is really lighter fluid) doesn't do it, or some sort of cleaner/polish doesn't either, then  the only solution is the beat your room mate about the head and shoulders with a blunt object.