Gibson Brands Forums

Polyphia

Dub-T-123

On 1/3/2023 at 8:32 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

I don’t think I’ve seen these guys mentioned here yet. This is some music nerd stuff, not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea. Even a lot of music nerds won’t like it and that’s ok but I think these guys are pretty groundbreaking.

Listen to this song and then check out more by them if you like it. I think some of you will enjoy 

My musical roots are in Funk and Jazz as a Bass Trombonist. Jim Culbertson, father of Brian Culbertson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vWEa-ydr7A) was my HS director (Jim is lead trumpet in the vid attached, btw.) He pressed us all to listen to guys like Chic Correa, Pat Metheny, etc., which this band reminded me of. I defiantly enjoyed the Polyphia track, and will be checking out more of their stuff! 

Beyond the obvious skill of both guitarists, I really appreciated the way the drummer utilized "muting methods" that didn't diminish the clarity of his head and cymbal strikes, but created super fast decay rates and eliminated head/cymbal "over ring". This staccato percussion style mimicked the crisp guitar rhythms and allowed the staccato leaning guitar lines to remain up front.  There is a reason acoustic guitars, especially guitars set up like these, are not typically paired with full drum sets, but rather bongos, Guiros, Castanets, and similar instruments. This exception to the rule was awesome.

Thanks for turning me on to this band!