Gibson Brands Forums

Polyphia

Dub-T-123

I don’t think I’ve seen these guys mentioned here yet. This is some music nerd stuff, not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea. Even a lot of music nerds won’t like it and that’s ok but I think these guys are pretty groundbreaking.

Listen to this song and then check out more by them if you like it. I think some of you will enjoy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a decent idea of your taste and I specifically didn’t think you’d like them. I have limited context to listen to something like them but I find their approach really interesting. I think they’re going to be important for the advancement of guitar techniques in ways

8 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I have a decent idea of your taste and I specifically didn’t think you’d like them. I have limited context to listen to something like them but I find their approach really interesting. I think they’re going to be important for the advancement of guitar techniques in ways

I’m still trying to find stuff from the 60’s and 70’s I haven’t heard yet. Like just the other day I listened to Soft Machine - Bundles  for the first time. I know who Allan Holdsworth is but forgot he was with them for a hot minute. He’s so damn good.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I just learned about Tim Henson last night. I came across him reading about the Neural DSP Quad Cortex and he is one of their early adopters. Incredibly talented. Playing an Ibanez nylon string sig model. Sounds great.

3 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

They should call this genre "TikTok".  😅

I like the chord voicings.  Sometimes the percussive/harmonics thing gets annoying for me.  Just go get a hammered dulcimer sir. 

Highly technical at times and good chops. Easy to forget melody.  I kinda like it. 

I often have trouble falling asleep because I have a song stuck in my head and ABC is one of them. My brain has been fried by a lot of vidja games n such though 

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m still trying to find stuff from the 60’s and 70’s I haven’t heard yet. Like just the other day I listened to Soft Machine - Bundles  for the first time. I know who Allan Holdsworth is but forgot he was with them for a hot minute. He’s so damn good.

Soft Machine?  First time I heard of and heard them was as one of the three opening acts for Hendrix in February of '68.  And they were good. But at that time Kevin Ayres was their guitarist.  Holdsworth didn't join them until sometime in the '70's.

But as to the featured band, yeah, great chops, but the clip seems to be more about their wanking on Latin themes.  I'll have to hear more from them to make a better informed opinion.

Whitefang

13 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Soft Machine?  First time I heard of and heard them was as one of the three opening acts for Hendrix in February of '68.  And they were good. But at that time Kevin Ayres was their guitarist.  Holdsworth didn't join them until sometime in the '70's.

But as to the featured band, yeah, great chops, but the clip seems to be more about their wanking on Latin themes.  I'll have to hear more from them to make a better informed opinion.

Whitefang

Allan is only on Bundles and it was released in '75.

• Like 1

This...these.

11 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Never saw these guys before. Personally I am not a big fan of the music "style"... However it is quickly apparent, that they are top-tier as guitarists, technically & artistically! 👍

10 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I don't think I could listen to an entire album of their music, but crikey they can certainly play.  

It will be very interesting to hear them a decade hence.

• Like 1

Interesting stuff.

A bit over-produced.
But good traveling music, I reckon, if you are driving down the highway and there's a storm coming.

One thing, and this may seem petty.
I don't mind ink, and most tattoos are passably attractive to me.

But the center guitar player guy, and that full neck sleeve tattoo;
It's distracting, visually, and off-putting.

Great player though.
Nice chops.
😐

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 4:58 PM, MissouriPicker said:

They’re certainly superior musicians, but my idea of music is Dylan, Cash, Prine, etc., strumming a guitar and singing about a “slice of life.”

Some peoples idea of music is U2 or Taylor Swift or Garth Brooks. I like Zappa. Who's wrong? I listen to Dylan and Cash and Prine too. Hello In There.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 5 months later...