Gibson Brands Forums

New sneakers & static!

ksdaddy

Cripes.... I bought a new set of sneakers last night in hopes of walking without shin splints (didn't work). Today I'm walking around the office and getting rudely zapped every time I reach for a filing cabinet or something metal. I'm used to that happening here in January when it's 20 below but not today. Gawd, I'm about ready to hold a 6011 rod in my hand and see if I can weld a bead while rubbing my sneakers on the rug.

I think I'll avoid touching my laptop when I get home... at least until I take these things off.

The nurses in an operating room have "conductive" strips for sneakers -- so they do not light off the ether. That's be a nice flare: several tanks of ether going up during open heart surgery. So they wear conductive strips and the avoid ignition. Go ask them.

Reminds me of a thing that happened to me in the 70's. It was a small gig at a bar that we never played at before and that's the first time I ever heard or experienced what happens when two objects are not grounded properly. I had the grip of death on the Strat neck and walked over to the mic' date=' started playing good ole Sweet Home Al, [b']POW[/b] it happened a blue flame shot from the shure SM57 to the body part closest to the mic; my top lip. I had like this burn mark for a week after it happened and even to this day I am so very careful prior to singing.....

OK Back to your story

The singer for the Yardbirds died from an incident like that.

Archived