Gibson Brands Forums

Weird noise coming out of the bridge pickup of my Les Paul Standard

jalexquijano

I bought a used 2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s neck which carries burstbucker pro alnico V pickups. However, whenever I switch the guitar to the bridge position I hear some rain like or scratched record sound coming out from the amp. I switch the guitar to the neck position and the horrible sound is gone. I have sprayed contact cleaner inside the pots to see if this can fix the ocassional rain like noise. Do you think the bridge pickup or the tone or volume pots could be damaged? Please advise on how to proceed, I really hate the ocassional horrible rain like noise. Sorry but I dont know the correct term.

yup dodgy wire or connection somewhere. it's unlikely to be in the pickup. have a really close visual inspection and if that shows up nothing then get out the multi meter and see if you can isolate the problem connection/component.

yup dodgy wire or connection somewhere. it's unlikely to be in the pickup. have a really close visual inspection and if that shows up nothing then get out the multi meter and see if you can isolate the problem connection/component.

Thanks for your advice. I have bought a 3 in 1 contact cleaner made by WD40 and have sprayed it inside the pots and the toggle switch. For my big fortune the problem was solved. Yesterday I did not hear a bit of the annoying rain like/ scratch record sound.

Please advise if there is something further i should do, like unsoldering and soldering back everything?

Archived