Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson es-295 reissue

Gretschman

I may be buying a Gibson es-295 reissue from a friend but noticed theres no label' serial number is 92930314  hes had the guitar 17 years now and decided to sell but ive never owned Gibson so a bit clueless' whats your thought's? i'll try and add a pic' as not to sure how this forum works 

ES 295.JPG

Yes.   This bridge and tailpiece mean it's a Scotty Moore model, 1999 limited edition and should have SM's signature on it somewhere I think.  There were reputedly only 81 made and he signed them all.  Very nice too!

Other ES 295s either have a Bigsby trem or a combination bridge/tailpiece with longer arms.

Forum members please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by jdgm

3 hours ago, jdgm said:

Yes.   This bridge and tailpiece mean it's a Scotty Moore model, 1999 limited edition and should have SM's signature on it somewhere I think.  There were reputedly only 81 made and he signed them all.  Very nice too!

Other ES 295s either have a Bigsby trem or a combination bridge/tailpiece with longer arms.

Forum members please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello' it did have a Bigsby on it originally but he took it off and replaced it with the trapeze bridge and mellita bridge' i have the guitar now as he said try it see what i think

17 hours ago, Gretschman said:

Hello' it did have a Bigsby on it originally but he took it off and replaced it with the trapeze bridge and mellita bridge' i have the guitar now as he said try it see what i think

OK then it is NOT a Scotty Moore limited edition and no wonder there is no sig on it!!

Still a beautiful looker, very nice too; I have an ES 175 with P94 pickups, similar.

Suggest you contact Gibson support (drop-down menu above) about the number and label?   Is there a COA (Certificate Of Authenticity)?

Worth looking inside with a pen torch to see if there is any trace at all of a label - glue residue etc.

Edited by jdgm

There’s pretty much no way in hell this is a 17 year old fake. If it is it’s probably worth more than an original because it would have to be built by an extremely talented high end luthier. But that would be silly, it’s pretty safe to assume it’s real. I’d shell out $3K for that