Gibson Brands Forums

2022 Gibson Tribute SG

JosephAlbert

So I just bought my first Gibson SG Tribute walnut and the first thing I had to do was a setup. After searching the Internet for hours and not finding anything reliable, I found a thread in another forum and followed it. I'm not used to SG's or pickups with no covers/trim rings and the bridge pickup looks like the bottom of the pickup is level with the top of the body. It plays well and the action is nice and low with no buzzing but I'm just not sure the pickup is supposed to be like this. I've uploaded a picture and was wondering if this is typical of an SG? Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 6.42.38 AM.jpg

Nothing wrong with what you have especially if the action is good, no buzzing anywhere.  But the strings (in the photo anyway) look pretty close to the top of the pickup.  As you work through your setup you might want to try lowering the pickup away from the strings a little and see if it doesn't sound a little clearer and defined.  The pickup height off the body is of no consequence, it is the distance from the strings that is important. 

• Thanks 1

As Twang say; the angle of the strings over pickup based on nut to bridge. Nutt’n to worry about there 

hold for low E (and High E) at last fret 

measure top of pole of pickup to under side of string should be something like 4/32 to start and then lower to taste of sound using your ears

too high you’ll get a wobbly sound 

OK, so I started with the bridge at 5/64 and the neck at 4/64. Then I set them by ear. Afterwards I took measurements just to see. With the last fret fretted the bridge pickup was 8/64 low e side and 6/64 high E. The neck was 6/64 low e and 5/64 high E. It sounds great...now I'm happy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...