Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul CS R6 - 2003

Sam77

Hi!

I bought a used Les Paul CS R6 gold top with P90s.
I find the P90s waaaay hotter than a normal humbucker, how could that be? Is it a feature for a 1956 pickups?

Also, the hight of the P90s can't be adjusted so that I get a lower output... 
I measured the resistance from these P90s and I read 8 Ohm for each of them individually. That's more than my Seymour Duncan Sh1n or Pearly Gates which gives me a reading of 7 Ohm individually.

Any help, guidance is welcome.

Sam, I'm pretty sure P-90's can be adjusted for height, there should be two screws on the top of the pickup but they can easily be confused with the pole piece screws (there will be 8 screws, 6 pole piece ones and 2 height adjustment ones). Obviously, the pole piece ones will be immediately beneath the strings, have another look, you should spot the two odd one's out.

Here's something you may find useful:

How To Adjust (Set) Pickup Height on a P-90 for ULTIMATE TONE! | Warehouse Guitar Speakers (wgsusa.com)

P.S. The height/mounting screws are sprung, so if you press down on the pickup, against the spring you should easily identify the two your looking for. 

Edited by IanHenry

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

Sam, I'm pretty sure P-90's can be adjusted for height, there should be two screws on the top of the pickup but they can easily be confused with the pole piece screws (there will be 8 screws, 6 pole piece ones and 2 height adjustment ones). Obviously, the pole piece ones will be immediately beneath the strings, have another look, you should spot the two odd one's out.

Here's something you may find useful:

How To Adjust (Set) Pickup Height on a P-90 for ULTIMATE TONE! | Warehouse Guitar Speakers (wgsusa.com)

P.S. The height/mounting screws are sprung, so if you press down on the pickup, against the spring you should easily identify the two your looking for. 

Thanks!

The problem is that when I press on the pickup, it doesn't move at all as would do a normal adjustable humbucker.
Also, I found the screws you're referring to but they seem to be tightening the plastic of the pickup (which can result in a crack) than making the pickup move up or down....

Sam, on my LesPaul with P-90s, pushing the pickup down leaves the two adjustment screws sticking out above the pickup, but I've never altered the height of them, also mine's not a Custom shop one but I wouldn't have thought that would make any difference.

The pickups should push into the body if you push them down firmly enough unless the previous owner has screwed them right down (unlikly) or modified it in some way.

It does make sense to push the pickup down whilst adjusting the height in order to minimise the risk of cracking the plastic. 

1 hour ago, Farnsbarns said:

R6 p90s are not height adjustable, because they weren't in 1956. 

I asked this exact question here back in 2010(ish) and got the same incorrect responses then. 

Oh okay thanks a lot!

How can I get a lower output from these very hot P90s? I have to change the whole EQ of my amp switching from any guitar to this.

1 hour ago, Sam77 said:

Oh okay thanks a lot!

How can I get a lower output from these very hot P90s? I have to change the whole EQ of my amp switching from any guitar to this.

You have to abandon the idea that you just turn on your amp, pick up one of your guitars, and just play and all is right with the world.  It does not work that way and unfortunately, it will not ever work that way.   Think about it. 

rct