Gibson Brands Forums

I fell out of love with my maple J-45

gearbasher

I just started playing again after a long hiatus. When I was playing regularly, I mostly played my rosewood J-45. Now,  I really loved that  guitar.  But, every now and then, I would switch to my maple J-45 and it was a totally different feel. It was exciting and fun. When I sold off most of my instruments, due to a neck crack, the rosewood J-45 didn't make the cut. So, the maple one is all I have left. The thrill is gone. I guess the mistress doesn't make a good wife. Anyhow, I still have my rosewood Guild D-55. But, the bridge is lifting. I'll see how I feel about the maple J-45 after the Guild is repaired and I have two gals back in my life.

Edited by gearbasher

Sorry to hear that. Neck crack due to cycling accident? Many of mine have also gone away, and the old relic from the '40's maple J-45 is one of the few J45-based ones still around. It's the loudest J-45 I've ever had, as if that matters. Maybe the maple is not a good fit for  your style of playing. Or maybe it's a matter of just playing the guitar in a way that  highlights its strong points. It was the bass note clarity when single note picking that hooked me. And the "cut"- striking an up-strum quickly really showing the attack.

It would still be interesting to play a contemporary maple J-45 alongside my old one, which most folks say likely has laminated back and sides. Go figure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 62burst said:

. . . It would still be interesting to play a contemporary maple J-45 alongside my old one, which most folks say likely has laminated back and sides. Go figure.

I've been wanting to try one too.