Gibson Brands Forums

Grooves in 2-year old Sheryl Crow Bridge

JSchaff

I was doing a string change on my daughters two year old Sheryl Crow last night and noticed that the rosewood bridge seemed to have some deep grooves in it.  Is this normal for a Gibson bridge?  

This was the guitar’s third string change: 1st done at the Nashville store it was bought at; second was by a local luthier (who happens to be an authorized service man for Martin).  

I’ve changed strings on other guitars for her before but don’t recall seeing grooves cut into a bridge like this before, and am only concerned since this is her newest and most expansive guitar.

Also, I noticed the Low E tuning knob (the white button and shaft) wiggled more than any other one.  Can or should that be tightened?

Thanks!

Justin

B100005B-0FB2-4339-9796-E8E425D9B234.jpeg

Pretty much just some unintentional ramping.  Martin used to do this on the bridges they were using on the Series 17 and below instruments where for whatever reason the pins were positioned back of where they normally would be to increase the break angle of the strings.  But there is no advantage to ramping a bridge with a normal height saddle and distance between the saddle and the pins.   

As to the tuners is it button or the shaft it is attached to which is wobbly?

Edited by zombywoof

OP - What's the story on the loose E tuner apparatus?  Is it the button or the shaft it's attached to that wiggles?  Lot's of different types of tuners,  assume yours is original equipment.  Does it have any screws anywhere that can be tweak/tightened?  But, no - it should not wiggle. Might it have gotten banged?   Most important, obviously, is that the post is secure and holds the string  good and tight without slipping or loosening. 

Nothing on that bridge looks off to me. Every Gibson acoustic I've owned has that little bit of ramping on the bridge. Just picked up a 2018 J-35 that's been virtually unplayed and has the same mild ramping on the bridge as has every J-45 Standard I've come across.