Gibson Brands Forums

Stuff just got real...

rct

I never got the lime wedge in beer too.  And agree with your comment about it.  But as far as dark beers go, I think Guinness is probably one of the worst flavors of anything I've experienced.  It's no wonder the Irish have been known to fight a lot.  [wink]  Drinking a lot of that bilge would put me in a bad humor too.

Whitefang

On 5/2/2023 at 10:35 AM, Whitefang said:

Probably due to that silly boycott.  I mean, who gives a sh!t who promotes it?  If you enjoyed it and drank it for years before that "he/she" was tagged to promote it why let that stop you from buying what you want?  It's STILL America, ain't it?

Whitefang

Some people protest in front of Supreme Court justice’s homes,  some boycott beer brands.  No need to get your panties in a twist.  It’s still free speech, ain’t it? 

16 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Some people protest in front of Supreme Court justice’s homes,  some boycott beer brands.  No need to get your panties in a twist.  It’s still free speech, ain’t it? 

So whose panties are in a twist?   All I did was to claim I thought boycotting something because you don't like or approve of whomever promotes it, especially if it's something you've liked and used, ate or drank for years  is a dumb-azz thing to do.  Particularly if it makes it difficult for those with better sense.  And for your "free speech" query......

Just because you CAN,  doesn't always mean you should.   [wink]  Which goes for a lot of things.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Little Feat said:

Here is what I just read. One is true or both are BS.

Arguably, if you are putting together a rock band, then swiping the name of one of the greatest rock bands of all time and rejigging it a bit is not necessarily the way to go. Still, it’s not gone too badly for Def Leppard, whose name was invented by singer Joe Elliot when he was writing rock reviews for imaginary bands in his English class. Inspired by Led Zeppelin, he summoned up Deaf Leopard – later reworking it to Def Leppard because the band were afraid the original was too punk.

I considered them using "Def" in the name as  in it's slang usage:

def2
[ def ]SHOW IPA

adjective
Slang. excellent:That hip-hop record is def!

ORIGIN OF DEF

An Americanism dating back to 1980–85; of uncertain origin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's the "Leppard" spelling that needs more clarification.  Might be connected to  renowned British composer and conductor RAYMOND LEPPARD.
Can't really be sure. 

Whitefang