Gibson Brands Forums

SG Classic

P.L.E.

Hey everyone, just proud to say I finally wised up and bought a beautiful SG Classic. Embarassingly, it was purchased full price at GC (I'm ashamed... It was an impulse buy and I was running late picking up my chick from a dentist appointment). Anyways, the guitar is wonderful. It is my first experience owning a guitar with P-90s, and their versatility continues to impress me. The guitar's tone is rich and full, but still manages to have plenty of "Oomf" and sizzle that is typical of the SG model. My only concern is in playability because it does not have a very "fast" neck, so to speak.

The fretboard is "dry," you could say, but I assume that can be corrected with a little conditioner. It doesn't stay in tune that well either, but I was planning on adding lock-in tuners anyway.

Also, if anyone could tell me what the neck profile on the guitar is, I would much appreciate it. It feels thicker than just about all I've played, including the '59 profile. Thanks!

hey man! welcome aboard! as for the dry neck, what to do is, change the strings BUT before you do, rub on lemon oil, i dont know if it is actually made from lemons but that is what we use here, d'adarrio is great and is very cheap, then put on fresh strings and voila! it will be kick ***.

I love those SGs... I want one. I'd say the tuning problem is in the nut and I'd personally keep the original tuners. I agree you should get it set up. Also putting some graphite on the nut would probly help. I just tried out the ol' graphite trick yesterday on a cheap guitar with bad tuners and it really helps. Once you get your setup taken care of your guitar should stay in tune very well. In my experience gibsons have really stable tuning. Mine hardly goes out of tune at all even if I'm trying really hard to bend it out of tune.

I used to use this stuff that my other guitar player had ... I think it was called "fret butter", but I can't find it anymore. It was AWESOME, although I know that doesn't help ya. Any specific fret dressing/oil will work for ya ... Fast Fret, Dunlop's lemon oil, etc....

Archived